What do you think you should wear to a uni interview?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, have you got an interview for uni coming up? Have you been planning your outfit to the last detail or not put much thought into it? :afraid::banana2:

According to an article in the telegraph:

This might go against the grain of common thinking - with people picturing Oxbridge interviewees lined up in their smart suits (I know that's how I pictured it anyway when I was younger!). :hat:

Personally, I'm sure I didn't put much thought into my uni interview outfit (although I wasn't an Oxbridge candidate). It was a few (cough) years ago now but I don't remember stressing about it...believe me, if I had, I would remember.

The advice from this article suggests people should go in clothes they feel comfortable in and not second guess what the uni is looking for.

My personal outfit approach to all interviews is smart casual...which I think is a good mix - it can help you to show off your personality and still enable you to look professional yet real. :pirateprincess: That's what I would recommend, generally speaking.

So...what will you be wearing/did you wear for your uni interview?
    Smart? Smart casual? Or completely casual?

Name:  dresscode.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  20.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is more off-putting to both applicant and interviewer if the person is all trussed up in best new clothes. Wearing something that is comfortable and you can just forget about and instead concentrate on the matter in hand, which is impressing the interviewers, is far more important than obsessing about ties and shoes and so forth. I personally wouldn't go in jeans and t-shirts because there are plenty of more sartorially pleasing outfits which can be equally as comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Go commando

ReputationRep:
    Black skinny jeans with a smart top should be okay for a smart causal look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alisaurus Cats)
    My personal outfit approach to all interviews is smart casual...which I think is a good mix - it can help you to show off your personality and still enable you to look professional yet real.
    So, explain why looking professional (whatever that means; look like a solicitor or doctor? like someone who is paid?) is relevant to a university interview. The candidates are not part of any profession.

Just wear comfortable, wholesome, clean, decent unprovocative clothes and appear to be what you are: an aspiring undergraduate. A good rule of thumb for interviews is to wear what you would expect to wear on a daily basis if you are successful.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannaMarin)
    Maybe lose the hat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Maybe lose the hat?
    nah fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannaMarin)
    nah fam

Much better.

ReputationRep:
    Cryptokyo

ReputationRep:
    Having worked on a lot of interview days at my university I see what people do actually wear (personally to mine I wore a shirt and smart trousers but don't think I wore a tie).

I'd agree with Oxford that it doesn't matter too much (to me, at least) but I'd recommend wearing at least a shirt and maybe have a tie in your pocket in case you mis-judge things. It's always possible to dress down if you go too smart, but you can't do it the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    So, have you got an interview for uni coming up? Have you been planning your outfit to the last detail or not put much thought into it? :afraid::banana2:

This might go against the grain of common thinking - with people picturing Oxbridge interviewees lined up in their smart suits (I know that's how I pictured it anyway when I was younger!). :hat:

Personally, I'm sure I didn't put much thought into my uni interview outfit (although I wasn't an Oxbridge candidate). It was a few (cough) years ago now but I don't remember stressing about it...believe me, if I had, I would remember.

The advice from this article suggests people should go in clothes they feel comfortable in and not second guess what the uni is looking for.

My personal outfit approach to all interviews is smart casual...which I think is a good mix - it can help you to show off your personality and still enable you to look professional yet real. :pirateprincess: That's what I would recommend, generally speaking.

Smart and comfy

I'd always suggest - what you'd wear to go out with your nan for a meal at the pub.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree, smart casual is good. Personally, I don't think the interviewers wish for you to wear too casual or too formal clothes.

ReputationRep:
    I would wear a tutu and say 'begin as you mean to go on'

But really I'd just go for the 'smart casual' look. I'd be out of place wearing a suit on campus!

ReputationRep:
    Smart cazh!

ReputationRep:
    This might go against the grain of common thinking - with people picturing Oxbridge interviewees lined up in their smart suits (I know that's how I pictured it anyway when I was younger!).
    When I went for interview, I didn't see anyone but myself in anything other than suits (or the equivalent formal wear for females).

ReputationRep:
    I went as far as having a shower beforehand and selecting a t shirt without any holes in for my recent PhD interviews. Dressing like a scruff is the norm in science so trying to fit in seemed the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardhello)
    Cryptokyo
    Shirt and jumper does the trick - particularly for maths. But a wool jumper it must be.

ReputationRep:
    I think for any interview it looks good to be smartly dressed, even if you wear scruffy clothes for the actual course or work itself afterwards. My son has done a placement at a primary school as a classroom assistant as part of his Health and Social Care course. He starts back at the same school this week, twice a week. He will be wearing a white shirt , black "school" shoes and black "school" trousers, if that makes sense. No tie or jacket. But he didn't want to go in in track suit bottoms and trainers. All the little ones think he is yet another teacher, so he needs to look the part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Black skinny jeans with a smart top should be okay for a smart causal look
    This is what I went with for my interview at UWS a few years ago. Got in.

For my current college showed up in a floral dress, blazer, and ballet pumps. Also got in.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.