College Advice

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in Year 11, and I live around the Fareham area, and was wondering whether I could get some advice about colleges from people who've perhaps been there or have considered them but for whatever reason decided against going there?

I'm looking at the moment, to apply for Peter Symonds in Winchester and Barton Peveril in Eastleigh. I've been to both colleges and came to a conclusion that I preferred Symonds, however I think some feedback from people would be nice and help me make a final decision.

I'm hoping to take English Literature (and maybe Language), Philosophy, and Biology or Psychology at A Level, and possibly the Extended Project Qualification. I've also got to take into account the daily commute and the cost of it, it'll take me roughly 30-40 minutes for me to get to both colleges, Barton on the bus and Symonds on the train, both options of which are fairly expensive, however I live near South Downs College, and although I wouldn't particularly want to go there it would be more convenient in terms of travel and how much I would be spending on it.

I'd love if someone could give me some feedback on which college may be better for my chosen courses, and whether or not I should go further out for college or stay within the local area, which wouldn't be something I'm very happy to do considering SDC don't offer some of the courses I want to do.

Thankyou(:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliaaa7)
    Hi,

I'm currently in Year 11, and I live around the Fareham area, and was wondering whether I could get some advice about colleges from people who've perhaps been there or have considered them but for whatever reason decided against going there?

I'm looking at the moment, to apply for Peter Symonds in Winchester and Barton Peveril in Eastleigh. I've been to both colleges and came to a conclusion that I preferred Symonds, however I think some feedback from people would be nice and help me make a final decision.

I'm hoping to take English Literature (and maybe Language), Philosophy, and Biology or Psychology at A Level, and possibly the Extended Project Qualification. I've also got to take into account the daily commute and the cost of it, it'll take me roughly 30-40 minutes for me to get to both colleges, Barton on the bus and Symonds on the train, both options of which are fairly expensive, however I live near South Downs College, and although I wouldn't particularly want to go there it would be more convenient in terms of travel and how much I would be spending on it.

I'd love if someone could give me some feedback on which college may be better for my chosen courses, and whether or not I should go further out for college or stay within the local area, which wouldn't be something I'm very happy to do considering SDC don't offer some of the courses I want to do.

Thankyou(:
    I go to Barton and I absoutely love it there! You can decide how independent you want to be and the teachers are always there if you need help. I went to the Peter Symonds taster day and I hated it. It was too big, the facilities were not as modern and the teachers were not as friendly.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.