Live in Landlord is being a PAIN! How to deal with it?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

I'm applying for my Masters after working a temp job to save for one year, although I don't know where I will be next September yet I'm staying a bit longer in my current city. As my old landlord had family members moving into my place, I found a short term room for a few months. I know from the site it was on the place has been on the market for a while, although it's cheap it's not in a great area.

The (foreign) live in landlord is proving to be a massive pain quite frankly. I have never had problems with previous rentals, obviously pay the rent etc. but he and his wife share the flat with me and are very nosy and fussy. They had a previous tenant who was part time in another room due to her studies, they gossiped to me about her being "annoying" and "weird" because she wanted the room part time instead of full time (I spoke to her and she seemed fine!). After hearing a few loud arguments between then she hasn't been here for a few weeks so I'm guessing she got fed up and left. I am tidy but they are too fussy about cleanliness and stuff, in the first few weeks they would even do stuff like come and tell me to preheat the oven! They already showed me how to use the bloody oven?!

I have told them numerous times including before signing the contract I'm applying for my Masters! So I am out at the library or with my friends some days, others I am at home. I can sense the landlord is unhappy about this (he works from home also, and his wife is a housewife) because he and/or his wife often come into the kitchen and ask nosy questions like "You cook?" (as though they dont want me in the kitchen!) "When are you getting a job", "do you have a place yet", etc. (Obviously I pay my rent on time!) They have told me very pointedly "we like people who are busy" and maybe it's a language difference but I also got the impression from how they talked about the previous tenant they are busy bodies and trouble.

They are also Muslim and I am not, I explained this to them before I signed and asked very clearly do you have a problem. He said no. (I don't even eat pork, go drinking/partying, wear my shoes in the house etc.) However, over the past couple of days whenever I have been in the kitchen and the landlord needs to get to the bathroom (which you can only get to through the kitchen) he will stomp around and huff while going through or something as though he would rather I weren't there. I am aware there are cultural differences, but he has also come and started asking me questions (as above) when I am alone cooking in the kitchen so it comes off as stupid and passive aggressiveness! Not to mention they advertised for a FEMALE tenant and have no right to throw strops if I am studying from home one day, I don't even use the living room but I am paying for the bloody kitchen on top of everything else.

Rant over, I am obviously not staying past the end of my contract but it's difficult to find another place earlier at short notice. I am good friends with my old landlord who has a place going but it may not be till November/December.

In any case I can't move immediately so tips on what to do till then? Have a word?

ReputationRep:
    Omfg... i had the exact same problem as you last year, I literally didn't even complete the contract, I just packed up my **** and left

ReputationRep:
    I think having a word will make them more difficult, if that's possible. I'd stick it out and bide your time. At least you've got somewhere better to go back to. X

ReputationRep:
    You should run away. Those are not cultural differences, they are just retards.

ReputationRep:
    His house his rules

ReputationRep:
    Have a word and talk to CAB. Can you not move out ASAP?

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    His house his rules
    How old are you? There are laws on landlord harassment. I'm guessing OP's landlord wasn't such a crazy psycho before they signed the contract, been there done that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannaMarin)
    Have a word and talk to CAB. Can you not move out ASAP?

How old are you? There are laws on landlord harassment. I'm guessing OP's landlord wasn't such a crazy psycho before they signed the contract, been there done that :rolleyes:
    as a lodger / licenesse the OP is in a much weaker position than a tenant with regard to quiet enjoyment ... but as you are such an expert you'd know that ... right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm applying for my Masters after working a temp job to save for one year, although I don't know where I will be next September yet I'm staying a bit longer in my current city. As my old landlord had family members moving into my place, I found a short term room for a few months. I know from the site it was on the place has been on the market for a while, although it's cheap it's not in a great area.

The (foreign) live in landlord is proving to be a massive pain quite frankly. I have never had problems with previous rentals, obviously pay the rent etc. but he and his wife share the flat with me and are very nosy and fussy. They had a previous tenant who was part time in another room due to her studies, they gossiped to me about her being "annoying" and "weird" because she wanted the room part time instead of full time (I spoke to her and she seemed fine!). After hearing a few loud arguments between then she hasn't been here for a few weeks so I'm guessing she got fed up and left. I am tidy but they are too fussy about cleanliness and stuff, in the first few weeks they would even do stuff like come and tell me to preheat the oven! They already showed me how to use the bloody oven?!

I have told them numerous times including before signing the contract I'm applying for my Masters! So I am out at the library or with my friends some days, others I am at home. I can sense the landlord is unhappy about this (he works from home also, and his wife is a housewife) because he and/or his wife often come into the kitchen and ask nosy questions like "You cook?" (as though they dont want me in the kitchen!) "When are you getting a job", "do you have a place yet", etc. (Obviously I pay my rent on time!) They have told me very pointedly "we like people who are busy" and maybe it's a language difference but I also got the impression from how they talked about the previous tenant they are busy bodies and trouble.

They are also Muslim and I am not, I explained this to them before I signed and asked very clearly do you have a problem. He said no. (I don't even eat pork, go drinking/partying, wear my shoes in the house etc.) However, over the past couple of days whenever I have been in the kitchen and the landlord needs to get to the bathroom (which you can only get to through the kitchen) he will stomp around and huff while going through or something as though he would rather I weren't there. I am aware there are cultural differences, but he has also come and started asking me questions (as above) when I am alone cooking in the kitchen so it comes off as stupid and passive aggressiveness! Not to mention they advertised for a FEMALE tenant and have no right to throw strops if I am studying from home one day, I don't even use the living room but I am paying for the bloody kitchen on top of everything else.

Rant over, I am obviously not staying past the end of my contract but it's difficult to find another place earlier at short notice. I am good friends with my old landlord who has a place going but it may not be till November/December.

In any case I can't move immediately so tips on what to do till then? Have a word?

Just put up with them until Nov/Dec then go to your old landlord but let old landlord know now that you want to go to them so they can keep the place for you
    It's their home so they can do what they want and be as nosy as they want but if they wanted someone who is out all the time they should have only took someone like that in the beginning
    I think it sounds horrible to live with them. It's like living with parents telling you what to do and asking when are you getting a job and arguing all the
    time. The next person who moves in after you leave will have just as much a horrible time. They should be grateful you give them space by not using their living room & bringing friends over all the time.
    You shouldn't have a word because it's their home and they can do what they like but only say something if they say anything to you again or if they make it obvious they don't like you in the kitchen again just remind them that you don't use living room or bring friends over and your're not noisy
    Because it would be an even worse atmosphere if you do have a word and it would be even more uncomfortable if they turned your simple chat with them into argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    as a lodger / licenesse the OP is in a much weaker position than a tenant with regard to quiet enjoyment ... but as you are such an expert you'd know that ... right ?
    *licencee :smug: Lol @ reading quiet enjoyment into this, unless OP's landlord is going into her room too. Sounds like a cultural problem with LL suddenly not wanting OP around as a female unless his wife is there too and harassing her into staying out of the common areas.

However seeing as you've got your knickers in a twist, read https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...135/138298.pdf

However, the law against harassment applies to all people living in residential property; it applies to them whether they have tenancies or licences, and it applies to the acts of anybody acting on behalf of a landlord and, in some cases, to people who may or may not be connected with a landlord

OK update! Holy **** situation has gotten worse. I'll be moving ASAP and looks like getting on with him is the least of my worries!

I didn't realise you don't pay council tax if you live with your landlord so I registered for it online and got asked to come in today to speak to someone, turns out the Council have it on their records that the landlord (or guy I pay money to!) and his wife are "students" (they are DEFINITELY not) for council tax. Meaning they have been avoiding it and probably lying to the Council. Whats more they do not appear to own the property and may be illegally subletting if they haven't asked the actual owner for permission. Council is gonna call him and speak about it. It's ****ing bad for me because obviously I am still living here and this is more drama. Will have to sort a place ASAP. Fortunately I have a contract which the Council has a copy of and they also know what he is up to now, the lady was very sympathetic. So they can help if he starts being more trouble.

The Council is not telling him I told him that (I also told them about his behaviour), but he'll probably know, now that I know he is a dodgy bastard and likely breaking the law shows over :rolleyes:

(Original post by georgia_93)
    Omfg... i had the exact same problem as you last year, I literally didn't even complete the contract, I just packed up my **** and left
    Looks like that's what I'll be doing! Did you get your deposit back? I predict Im gonna have to fight him for it despite the place obv being in good repair. Fortunately the Council knows what he is up to :lol:

(Original post by Seamus123)
    I think having a word will make them more difficult, if that's possible. I'd stick it out and bide your time. At least you've got somewhere better to go back to. X
    Thank you x, doesn't seem like I'll be hanging around much longer though as if he is doing stuff like renting illegally I don't feel safe here tbh. I am also expecting some important letters that haven't come yet. I wouldn't put it past them to nick letters.

(Original post by agrew)
    You should run away. Those are not cultural differences, they are just retards.
    I'm not "running away" but after this discovery I will certainly be moving! :lol:

It does kinda explain their dodgy behaviour.

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    His house
    Turns out it ain't! :rolleyes:

(Original post by Judge Jules)
    Just put up with them until Nov/Dec then go to your old landlord but let old landlord know now that you want to go to them so they can keep the place for you
    It's their home so they can do what they want and be as nosy as they want but if they wanted someone who is out all the time they should have only took someone like that in the beginning
    Thanks. Yeah if my old landlord wont have a room I'm going to start house hunting today. Absolutely furious about this. Probably illegally subletting and then acting so dodgily. WTF.

(Original post by HannaMarin)
    Lol @ reading quiet enjoyment into this, unless OP's landlord is going into her room too. Sounds like a cultural problem with LL suddenly not wanting OP around as a female unless his wife is there too and harassing her into staying out of the common areas.
    If I'm a subtenant he can't harass me either. Anyway all I GAF about now is getting out quick and getting my deposit back!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK update! Holy **** situation has gotten worse. I'll be moving ASAP and looks like getting on with him is the least of my worries!

I didn't realise you don't pay council tax if you live with your landlord so I registered for it online and got asked to come in today to speak to someone, turns out the Council have it on their records that the landlord (or guy I pay money to!) and his wife are "students" (they are DEFINITELY not) for council tax. Meaning they have been avoiding it and probably lying to the Council. Whats more they do not appear to own the property and may be illegally subletting if they haven't asked the actual owner for permission. Council is gonna call him and speak about it. It's ****ing bad for me because obviously I am still living here and this is more drama. Will have to sort a place ASAP. Fortunately I have a contract which the Council has a copy of and they also know what he is up to now, the lady was very sympathetic. So they can help if he starts being more trouble.

The Council is not telling him I told him that (I also told them about his behaviour), but he'll probably know, now that I know he is a dodgy bastard and likely breaking the law shows over :rolleyes:

Looks like that's what I'll be doing! Did you get your deposit back? I predict Im gonna have to fight him for it despite the place obv being in good repair. Fortunately the Council knows what he is up to :lol:

Thank you x, doesn't seem like I'll be hanging around much longer though as if he is doing stuff like renting illegally I don't feel safe here tbh. I am also expecting some important letters that haven't come yet. I wouldn't put it past them to nick letters.

I'm not "running away" but after this discovery I will certainly be moving! :lol:

It does kinda explain their dodgy behaviour.

Turns out it ain't! :rolleyes:

Thanks. Yeah if my old landlord wont have a room I'm going to start house hunting today. Absolutely furious about this. Probably illegally subletting and then acting so dodgily. WTF.

If I'm a subtenant he can't harass me either. Anyway all I GAF about now is getting out quick and getting my deposit back!!

Thanks for the update, I'm always curious to find out what happened afterwards when people write about their problems. And if people are dodgy landlords that don't want the council or other authorities knowing about them they should tell tenants not to contact them or that they don't need to pay council tax then be kinder to their lodgers, treat them with respect, and be grateful to good lodgers like yourself who did not cause them any problems so this is all just karma for them because of the way they treated you or others before you.
    You can look on google for other places to rent or gum tree even. Or type student accommodation
    Good luck finding a better place

(Original post by Judge Jules)
    Thanks for the update, I'm always curious to find out what happened afterwards when people write about their problems. And if people are dodgy landlords that don't want the council or other authorities knowing about them they should tell tenants not to contact them or that they don't need to pay council tax then be kinder to their lodgers, treat them with respect, and be grateful to good lodgers like yourself who did not cause them any problems so this is all just karma for them because of the way they treated you or others before you.
    You can look on google for other places to rent or gum tree even. Or type student accommodation
    Good luck finding a better place
    Yw Yeah I'm not worried about finding a new place just need to look. My main concern is monitoring their behaviour and keeping my important items safe. Seeing as, they are the kind of people who lie to the Council and probs the owner of the property too!! Glad the Council know

ReputationRep:
    Find a new place?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.