Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who Here Actually Supports The Royal Family ....

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who pays tax, surely?

ReputationRep:
    If you mean do I prefer the Royal Family to an elected head of state, then yes. They're cheaper, less political, more interesting, better for tourism and make us special. What more could we ask for?

ReputationRep:
    I do, because it links us back to the UK, we get the Queens (fake) birthday off, compete in Commonwealth games, we dont have a president, and we have the union jack on our flag.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Despite being democratically indefensible, one thing they do is keep the national identity (even if ours is vague) out of the hands of politicians. Look at what the neo-cons in the US are doing with what makes 'an American'. Dodgy.

People pay tax for plenty of stupid ****, the tax argument for the Royal Family is lame. People pay tax to cover people who got too pissed on Sunday night and can’t go into work on a Monday, so don’t be coming it you lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    I do. Despite being democratically indefensible, one thing they do is keep the national identity (even if ours is vague) out of the hands of politicians. Look at what the neo-cons in the US are doing with what makes 'an American'. Dodgy.

People pay tax for plenty of stupid ****, the tax argument for the Royal Family is lame. People pay tax to cover people who got too pissed on Sunday night and can’t go into work on a Monday, so don’t be coming it you lot.
    Of course the tax cost is not an issue. The Royal Family cost 61p a year per person. That's nothing. Any elected head of state would definitely cost more, and they wouldn't bring in the tourism revenue either.

ReputationRep:
    exactumundo.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me if this is indefensibly ignorant, but what state do you suppose we'd be in without the Royal Family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesard)
    Excuse me if this is indefensibly ignorant, but what state do you suppose we'd be in without the Royal Family?
    That rather depends when you scrapped them? If in recent times, we'd probably be in a similar position but with less wealth and prestige. If earlier we'd probably be French or worse.

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'support', it sounds like they're a sports team :p: If they did have the occasional joust against other royal families then I would be behind them

Er, they've become an embarassment over the post 15 years. Its the world's most expensive soap opera :hmpf: Oliver Cromwell had the right idea, I would definitely guillotine them all if I had the choice!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/15942/CAMILLA:-We'll-splatter-her-with-eggs

ReputationRep:
    ... and SuperDaz gets done for treason ;rip;

ReputationRep:
    SuperDaz's argument was based around a soundbite.

And anyway, given we pay licence fees and Eastenders, along with Corrie and Emerdale are hugely popular shows, wouldnt that imply you support the Royal Family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    SuperDaz's argument was based around a soundbite.

And anyway, given we pay licence fees and Eastenders, along with Corrie and Emerdale are hugely popular shows, wouldnt that imply you support the Royal Family?
    It depends on whether by the Royal Family, you mean a Royal Family or this Royal Family. As it stands at the moment we're supporting an Ice Queen and a future king who was boning another woman on his honeymoon.

ReputationRep:
    divorce ratings are like 1 in 3 in Britian, surely he's representative of the population? On the one hand people argue the royals should have no impact on British politics or culture and then on the other complain they're bad role mdoels.

I dont have a problem with A royal family in general so long as the nation is properly democratic. The presence of a royal family with only ceremonial power doesnt some how make the place less democratic.

ReputationRep:
    The Queen is da bomb yo.

No but seriously, why not? They cost us taxpayers very little, they bring in tonnes of tourism revenue and it gives us a sense of nationalistic pride. What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    The Queen is da bomb yo.

No but seriously, why not? They cost us taxpayers very little, they bring in tonnes of tourism revenue and it gives us a sense of nationalistic pride. What's wrong with that?
    As far as I can see there are two reasons to not want the monarchy:

1) Because it is undemocratic. This is technically true but is putting ideology ahead of practically. Since the existance of the monarchy doesn't interfere with the democratic running of the country.

2) Because it's old-fashioned. This is also true but not a very good reason for scrapping it. That very fact makes them worth keeping.

ReputationRep:
    Monarchist here!

ReputationRep:
    "The Royal Family" are not an institution, the monarchy is.

And yes, I am a monarchist and supportive of Elizabeth II.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I "support" them, why not? They don't do anything for me to dislike them... well they do very little at all. I mean, the Queen has hardly any power, if she did, I'd be probably less likely to want to support her.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.