Is it too personal for my personal statement?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm currently trying to write my personal statement and I'm applying to study english literatur. I know one of the main things to talk about is why you're interested in the subject and for me the thing that sparked my interest is quite personal. As a child I grew up with an emotionally abusive father and reading was my coping mechanism. It was what got my through living with him and that is one of the main reasons why I want to study it, literature can literally save lives. But the thing is, I don't know if that is too personal a story to tell? Will it just look like I want their pitty? I obviously don't want that to happen but I also don't know how to honestly describe why I want to study this course without bringing it up.
    Best regards, Lilly

ReputationRep:
    urgh, that must have been horrible... But, I don't think they want to hear your whole life story and they don't want your personal statement to be so long. Maybe you can say that
    Reading helped me to cope during the tough times.
    Lol, I don't know. XD Maybe just mention "personal reasons" instead of explaining why or say it made you feel happier and blocked out all the depressing things you went through during life.
    I hope this helped!

(Original post by linnlag)
    Hi!

I'm currently trying to write my personal statement and I'm applying to study english literatur. I know one of the main things to talk about is why you're interested in the subject and for me the thing that sparked my interest is quite personal. As a child I grew up with an emotionally abusive father and reading was my coping mechanism. It was what got my through living with him and that is one of the main reasons why I want to study it, literature can literally save lives. But the thing is, I don't know if that is too personal a story to tell? Will it just look like I want their pitty? I obviously don't want that to happen but I also don't know how to honestly describe why I want to study this course without bringing it up.
    Best regards, Lilly

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Best regards, Lilly
    It's not relevant. Enjoying reading does not then mean you should do an English literature degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Best regards, Lilly
    You do not need to mention this. Reading literature and then studying literature are not the same thing.

Why do you want to study literature? Why do you want to learn about political disruption in slave-narratives? Why do you want to study the perception of madness in literature. Why is studying a critical theory of psychoanalysis important in understanding sexuality in Victorian literature?

You need to ask yourself, what interests you as a literature student, not as a literary enthusiast.

It's not about enjoying reading, but it's about critically dissecting it in order to understand and appreciate literature. Once you know why you want to do this, you should write about it.

For example, I'm interested in lost identities in literature so I wrote about Maurice by EM Forster in my PS.

Find out what themes and genres you like and jot down any ideas that comes to mind and try to elaborate on those.

ReputationRep:
    I would kindly suggest that there are better openings for a PS than your experiences of an abusive father...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.