How hard is IB Biology and Chemistry?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 and applications for sixth form start after half term. I really want to stay at my school, and in the future I want to study Medicine, but the thing is I hear IB Biology and Chemistry and really hard. For example, St George's, they need 36 with 6 across the board. Is IB Bio and Chem hard to get those grades? PLEASE HELP ME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CPS23)
    I'm in Year 11 and applications for sixth form start after half term. I really want to stay at my school, and in the future I want to study Medicine, but the thing is I hear IB Biology and Chemistry and really hard. For example, St George's, they need 36 with 6 across the board. Is IB Bio and Chem hard to get those grades? PLEASE HELP ME
    Hi, I am currently taking IBHL Chemistry and Biology and I have a predicted 6 in both those courses. It will honestly depend on what is your other HL subject and if you really like the sciences. If you love studying the sciences and so I don't think it is hard to get a 6 if you work hard. (Other than the IAs which are living hell that I am in right now, my experiment failed 6 times lol) It will so depend on which HL subject is your third subject. If you choose another difficult course in HL, then maintaining grades might also be an issue. Good luck on trying to get into medicine. If you have any questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Hi, I am currently taking IBHL Chemistry and Biology and I have a predicted 6 in both those courses. It will honestly depend on what is your other HL subject and if you really like the sciences. If you love studying the sciences and so I don't think it is hard to get a 6 if you work hard. (Other than the IAs which are living hell that I am in right now, my experiment failed 6 times lol) It will so depend on which HL subject is your third subject. If you choose another difficult course in HL, then maintaining grades might also be an issue. Good luck on trying to get into medicine. If you have any questions just ask
    Thank you! Umm, I want to take HL English because I love English, what advice would you give for the IB Sciences, especially with tests and in lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, That's interesting because I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, and English at Higher Level.

For tests, I would say do a lot of practice questions. If you are sure of a concept, don't hesitate to ask your teacher about it after class. Be on top of your school work because falling behind in IB is not fun. (definitely would not recommend it)

For labs, SAFETY is paramount. I mean safety is probably the most important thing in IB lab work. Also when devising a lab, be mindful of ethics because IB cares a lot about that too.

In short, be on top of your work and don't panic, you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey I know this question is more than a week old now but I just wanted to say that I started IB this year and am taking hl bio and chem. I'm just a few weeks in but yeah I'd say it's pretty hard, my biggest piece of advice would be to take some really good notes as you go along and don't let your teacher move on if you don't understand something!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.