Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am extremely confused about which of these two to include on my UCAS form for Geography in 2005. I am having this trouble because as far as I am concerned these two both have massive plus points that sort of cancel each other out making my decision harder.

Oxford's plus points are that it is a much larger and more lively city which is definitely more "me" and also has excellent links with lLndon which I also consider important. Many colleges also have an excellent reputation for drama which is also important to me. A final plus point is my school's success rate with Oxford applications, last year 6/8 Oxford applicants gained a place.
    However I have heard that the Geography course there is pretty much distinctly average and nothing special.

Where as Cambridge's major plus point is the excellent Geography course they have there, and their research department which is pretty much on the cutting edge of geographical research. Another academic related point is that they do a particularly interesting postgraduate MPhil course in GIS and Remote Sensing which I can see myself being interested in after graduating should I gain a place.
    The problem I have here however is that when I visited the city was pretty dull and lifeless compared to Oxford, and although the peace and quiet was a good thing at times, I can see myself becoming bored with it quite quickly. Another problem is the poor application success rate of my school here, with only 1 out of 5 applicants to Cambridge gaining a place.

So basically it seems like a choice between the academic side and the social side of the respective Universities.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or thoughts anyone may have on this

Thanx,
    Robxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Alas, I do not have the answer

ReputationRep:
    Go to Oxford to do your first degree.

Then transfer to Cambridge for the post-grad degree.

That way, you get the all-important social life when you can vaguely afford to have one, then the top-notch research dept when you do the second stage.

ReputationRep:
    Go to which you think will be more fun, both have excellent prospects and repuations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with Oxford for first degree, Cambridge for postgrad. I think Cambridge does have better geography/geology departments, but you'll probably feel more comfortable at Oxford at first...postgrad is when you really need the cutting-edge research stuff.

However, in Cambridge's defence, it also has good rail links with London, and the Cam Footlights are more famous than any Oxford drama group I know.

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said i think you should go for Oxford. I've heard that at Cambridge it's just constant academic work and you don't get much of a social life compared to Oxford.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I'd agree with Oxford for first degree, Cambridge for postgrad. I think Cambridge does have better geography/geology departments, but you'll probably feel more comfortable at Oxford at first...postgrad is when you really need the cutting-edge research stuff.

However, in Cambridge's defence, it also has good rail links with London, and the Cam Footlights are more famous than any Oxford drama group I know.
    Absolutely agree here! Cambridge is more purely academic, but on balance (given your initial post) Oxford seems the best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan)
    Go to Oxford to do your first degree.

Then transfer to Cambridge for the post-grad degree.

That way, you get the all-important social life when you can vaguely afford to have one, then the top-notch research dept when you do the second stage.
    Or do a medical degree... That way you can do pre-clinical in one and clinical in the other and get an Oxbridge medical degree

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would say go to Durham. I'm a Durham graduate, and the last I've heard is that its department is still rated the best in Britain. Plus you get 17 college bars and plenty of pubs. The field trips (one to Gran Canaria) were excellent.

Having said that, I hope to do a masters in Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with the others - Oxford for undergrad, Cambridge for postgrad.

I spent a lot of my final year travelling between London and Oxford, as my boyf lived in London, and the distance was not too bad at all. The coach is 24 hrs, very regular and very cheap. It was my lifeline away from finals stress!

My boyf went to Cambridge and it sounds like the social life in Oxf was better than Camb.

I also know a lot of people who went on to do postgrad in Cambridge who appreciated the change of scene, access to new people and chance to start afresh with no undergrad 'history' lurking...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    So basically it seems like a choice between the academic side and the social side of the respective Universities.
    What do you consider most important? If it's academia go to Cambridge, if it's a social life go to Oxford. There, done.

In fairness... both are excellent academically of course, though the Cambridge geography course is a lot more flexible so you can home in on your interests. I think I'd be right in saying overall the workload's heavier at Cambridge. As for social life, as a lot of people have said in the other thread, unless you're a hardcore socialite / into good clubs/DJs etc, it doesn't really matter where you go if you have you're with your mates.

ReputationRep:
    University College London. Founded on the marvellous accepting principles of the philosopher Jeremy Bentham, while Oxford and Cambridge = shockingly elitist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    University College London. Founded on the marvellous accepting principles of the philosopher Jeremy Bentham, while Oxford and Cambridge = shockingly elitist.
    So if you want the very best calibre of students you're elitist?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, UCL and LSE manage to do this without being elitist.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, UCL and LSE manage to do this without being elitist.
    Yeah, LSE completely unbiased to wealthy foreigners of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yeah, LSE completely unbiased to wealthy foreigners of course
    That bias exists due to recurrent under funding by the government and applies to all universities (Oxford and Cambridge included).

I’m talking about the thick prevailing cloud of elitism that has hovered above Oxbridge since is foundation and was part of the principles of its foundation.

ReputationRep:
    That bias exists due to recurrent under funding by the government and applies to all universities (Oxford and Cambridge included).
    15% of applicants are from overseas here, and only 9% of the intake are. LSE must be raking in an absolute packet, but I do wonder where all the money goes. It's expensive for students, and the departments/buildings are far from brilliant. It's all ploughed into "research", apparently.
    I’m talking about the thick prevailing cloud of elitism that has hovered above Oxbridge since is foundation and was part of the principles of its foundation.
    It's nothing more than a mythical cloud packed with stereotypical droplets. What elitism are you referring to? This is playing the same record again I know, but if you're good enough it doesn't matter whatsoever what school you went to, what part of the country you're from, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's nothing more than a mythical cloud packed with stereotypical droplets. What elitism are you referring to? This is playing the same record again I know, but if you're good enough it doesn't matter whatsoever what school you went to, what part of the country you're from, etc etc.
    Mythical? Bearing in mid that public school student’s account for around 7% of the school population, they make up nearly 50% of oxford entrants.....

University College London all the way, liberal, academically excellent and diverse.

"Admissions tutors face an uphill task: the proportion of state school entrants to Oxford dropped last October from 54.3% to 51.7%, against a target of 69% set by the government's higher education funding council"

http://education.guardian.co.uk/oxbr...175849,00.html

(point taken about LSE)

ReputationRep:
    Mythical? Bearing in mid that public school student’s account for around 7% of the school population, they make up nearly 50% of oxford entrants.....
    Yes, and that's all about the type of people APPLYING, nothing to do with the university being elitist in its selection process. It's not as if 7% of applicants are public school and Oxbridge takes in 50% of them. In fact the stateublic applications rate and success rate are quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yes, and that's all about the type of people APPLYING, nothing to do with the university being elitist in its selection process. It's not as if 7% of applicants are public school and Oxbridge takes in 50% of them. In fact the stateublic applications rate and success rate are quite similar.
    As opposed to UCL? (that was my original point)

My opinion of Oxbridge is that it’s a wonderful, academically rigorous and engaging place to study. However, the fact is they are both the most elitist institutions in our country, therefore i chose study at UCL (originally set up to address the elitism problems of Oxbridge) for all the above reasons minus the elitism and plus the diversity.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2004

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.