Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i put roehampton uni down as my insurance choice because i would only need 180 points..which i will get easily
    however i dont want to go there, so if i dnt make my firm offer, will i HAVE to go there, or is it easy to get out of going to my insurance choice?

ReputationRep:
    If you're absolutely 100% sure you definitely don't want to go there, then ring them today and asked to be released. If you don't make the grades for your firm then you have to, by contract, go to your insurance unless they release you. If you ring them on results day and ask to be released, it will take ages to do so because they wll be really busy and releasing you won't be a priority! And therefore, this would delay you going into clearing if you decide to. So, all in all, get released today!! Good luck- let's hope that you your insurance won't even come into the equation and you'll get your firm!

ReputationRep:
    woah didnt know you had to go to your insurance. You mean to tell me by contract a person is obligated to go to his or her insurance is they do not receive entry into their firm. Can somebody answer me a simple yes or no question: Can I apply for just 1 university or do I really have to put 5 options down?

ReputationRep:
    well the way i look at it, they cant force me to go there can they lol
    i think u can apply for just one, but it could be a bit risky lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrian1707)
    woah didnt know you had to go to your insurance. You mean to tell me by contract a person is obligated to go to his or her insurance is they do not receive entry into their firm. Can somebody answer me a simple yes or no question: Can I apply for just 1 university or do I really have to put 5 options down?
    Well, obviously, nobody is going to physically make you go to your insurance. it just means that you are bound by contract to go to your insurance uni or NO uni- that's all. But by being released you are free then to enter clearing, should you need to.
    Secondly, yes you can put one choice down (and you only have to pay £5, whereas it costs £15 for more choices). But if you want to add more choices, you have to pay the extra £10! :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    DON'T RING ANY UNI TODAY.

Your unis have your results they CANNOT speak to you about your application until Thursday. Ideally you should have contacted them last week or earlier - now you have to wait until results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrian1707)
    If i were you, i'd apply for 6.
    Dont make any decisions until you've been around them all.
    If there's THEN only one uni that you really could see yourself going to, then just put that as your firm choice, and decline the others.
    I dont think you HAVE to have an insurance choice.
    But to only apply to one uni.. when you're not guaranteed to be offered a place is foolish

ReputationRep:
    That's right, you don't have to have an insurance at all.

If on results day (or whenever) the Insurance won't release you, then you either have to go there or withdraw from UCAS altogether for this year (i.e. you can't go through clearing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stepheh)
    If i were you, i'd apply for 6.
    It's five, for 2008 entry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, I don't like my insurance anymore and have no intention of going. If I miss my firm I'm going to take a gap year though, so not really bothered about missing clearing.

ReputationRep:
    nobody really wants to go to their insurane. if i went to mine it'd be 4 years of '****! i ****ed up'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    It's five, for 2008 entry.
    really?
    Although thinking about it.. there have been a lot of threads asking for advice on which 5 uni's to apply to.. I just thought everyone was being.. odd.

does anyone know the logic behind the change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stepheh)
    really?
    Although thinking about it.. there have been a lot of threads asking for advice on which 5 uni's to apply to.. I just thought everyone was being.. odd.

does anyone know the logic behind the change?
    Nope, they were keeping up with their reading :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...05#post8667805

ReputationRep:
    I have no intention of going to my insurance one either

Pretty much like everybody else, if I don't get my firm I'm not going to my insurance, I'll go back to college for another year to get the grades if I need to.

ReputationRep:
    lol...me being me, i've been thinking that I don't want to go to my firm, let alone my insurance. Not being big headed, but i'm going to get 3 Bs at the absolute worse outcome, but the offer is for 220 points. Its ranked quite low, and i've just been soul-searching in general.

Anyway, can I take myself out of UCAS still? I know its late on, but i'm really having second thoughts. And what if I just don't turn up in September? It's not like i've wasted any money is it? lol

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't want to go to either firm or insurance then you can certainly withdraw from UCAS. There is a possibility you may still get a place at uni this year, but you would need to contact them directly and explain that you've withdrawn from UCAS (it is easier to withdraw than try to get released from both). Unis will take on a certain amount of students who have applied directly to them outside of the UCAS system.

If all else fails, you can still always take a gap year and apply safe in the knowledge that you would already have the entry requirements for your chosen uni.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.