A160 – Question Times Amendment (Second Reading)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    A160 – Question Times Amendment (Second Reading)

Proposed by: Quamquam123 MP (LAB)
    Seconded by: TheDefiniteArticle (LAB), Unown Uzer (UKIP), hazzer1998 (UKIP), DMcGovern (SOC), Andy98 (GRN)

Question Times Amendment (Second Reading)

This House shall adjust the Guidance Document as follows:

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 1 in the Prime Minister’s Questions section from:

1)The Prime Minister may choose the day of the week they answer Prime Minister's Questions. They should endeavour to be online as much as possible in the 24 hours after the update on that day.

to:

1) Prime Minister’s Questions will take place once a month, on a Friday. The Prime Minister should endeavour to be online as much as possible in the 24 hours after the update on that day. The Prime Minister is entitled to call additional PMQs if he/she desires.

In the Guidance Document, rename Section 13 from:

Statements of Intent and Departmental Reviews

to:

Statements of Intent, Departmental Reviews and Minister’s Questions

In the Guidance Document, create clause 9 in the Statements of Intent, Departmental Reviews and Minister’s Questions section:

9) Key Cabinet members, which includes the Chancellor, the Home Secretary, the Foreign Secretary, the Health Secretary, the Education Secretary and the Defence Secretary, are obliged to hold at least one of their own question times during the term. They may hold more than one question time if they wish. Other Cabinet members may hold their own question times too. At the beginning of each term, the Prime Minister will publish a provisional timetable of when question times will be held.

Notes:
    This amendment aims to make PMQs slightly more frequent and make sure there is at least one question time each term for the major Cabinet positions.

The Question Times amendment will help to boost government activity and connect the Prime Minister and his Cabinet better with the other MHoC members. This amendment has been planned so that question times don’t happen too frequently that people find them tedious but not too sporadic that the Prime Minister and his Cabinet members become detached from the House.

Changes for the Second Reading:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - The day which PMQs take place on has been changed to Friday.
    - PMQs will now take place at least once a month, instead of once a fortnight.

ReputationRep:
    Still too often. I'd just scrap PMQs or ban ask the government all together.

ReputationRep:
    While better still a no

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    While better still a no

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't persuade you to vote abstain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I can't persuade you to vote abstain?
    No

ReputationRep:
    I no longer support this. Fridays are days in particular which will see many unable to access TSR for extended periods of time, and it is unreasonable to require this of the PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I no longer support this. Fridays are days in particular which will see many unable to access TSR for extended periods of time, and it is unreasonable to require this of the PM.
    What day should it be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    What day should it be?
    If you have to specify a day, make it Sunday. Both a weekend, and unlikely to be used for an all-day drinking sesh. However, I think not specifying one at all would be best.

ReputationRep:
    Still a no from me

ReputationRep:
    If you have to specify a day, make it Sunday. Both a weekend, and unlikely to be used for an all-day drinking sesh. However, I think not specifying one at all would be best.
    That means Saturday, last I checked updates are in the evening, not morning, ergo the 24h is the remainder of the evening and the daylight hours of the following day, so Sunday is as bad as Wednesday, if you have a 9-5 Monday to Friday or are in full time education

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That means Saturday, last I checked updates are in the evening, not morning, ergo the 24h is the remainder of the evening and the daylight hours of the following day, so Sunday is as bad as Wednesday, if you have a 9-5 Monday to Friday or are in full time education

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hm, yes; if this doesn't mean midnight-midnight all days are bad for at least some people.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, yes; if this doesn't mean midnight-midnight all days are bad for at least some people.
    The most logical interpretation is the most obvious, the 24h after posting, naturally most free time means at the weekend in most cases, there are few people I know (by few I mean none to my knowledge) that are perpetually busy at the weekend, but that may well be down to everybody having moved on from weekend work, even so, I very confidently say that the average member has the most free time they could be on TSR (or passively are) is going to be at the weekend, I would guess Sat-Sun slightly more so than Fri-Sat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The most logical interpretation is the most obvious, the 24h after posting, naturally most free time means at the weekend in most cases, there are few people I know (by few I mean none to my knowledge) that are perpetually busy at the weekend, but that may well be down to everybody having moved on from weekend work, even so, I very confidently say that the average member has the most free time they could be on TSR (or passively are) is going to be at the weekend, I would guess Sat-Sun slightly more so than Fri-Sat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, that's my point. However, I maintain we shouldn't prescribe anything.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Scrap PMQ or at least make it a Monday.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Probably a 'No' from me. The PM should be able to choose the day of the week (having consulted with the Opp Leader, obvs). The House should take the release of an SOI as an opportunity to question a Minister.

ReputationRep:
    This amendment has gone to a third reading.

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.