Schrodinger question

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I'm doing this right and I don't know the next steps. The end answer should be E = hbar^2 * k^2 / (2m) on the lhs and E = hbar^2 * q^2 / (2m) + V on the rhs. *

Attachment 585834585836 * * *Attachment 585834585836
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airess3)
    I don't know if I'm doing this right and I don't know the next steps. The end answer should be E = hbar^2 * k^2 / (2m) on the lhs and E = hbar^2 * q^2 / (2m) + V on the rhs. *

Attachment 585834585836 * * *Attachment 585834585836
    You are given the wavefunction in (b) . Differentiate it twice wrt x and replace the second derivative in the equation. Remember that V is different in different regions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    You are given the wavefunction in (b) . Differentiate it twice wrt x and replace the second derivative in the equation. Remember that V is different in different regions.
    I did that but somehow I ended up with a strange answer for region A. Didn't finish the one for region B because it will also turn out strange. I thought of substituting the original eqs for the psi symbols but it still wouldn't be the right answers.*Name:  new post.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  501.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    I did that but somehow I ended up with a strange answer for region A. Didn't finish the one for region B because it will also turn out strange. I thought of substituting the original eqs for the psi symbols but it still wouldn't be the right answers.*Name:  new post.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  501.9 KB
    The wavefunction is different in different regions, so the differentiation should be done on the wavefunction in region A when applying the time-independent Schrodinger equation (TISE).

You are differentiating a weird total wavefunction and applying the TISE to obtain the energy which is incorrect.. I cannot really read how you differentiate the wavefunction, I suspect your differentiation is incorrect, too.

Don't mean to be offensive or rude in asking you these question - how good is your calculus?

Note : You will be doing alot of differentiation and integration in Quantum mechanics if it is dealing with wavefunction (hope you are aware of it).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  step_potential_01.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  62.8 KB
    I did not complete the whole solution.

ReputationRep:
    For d), it's worth 7 marks but I can't think of any other steps but I got to the right final answer.*Name:  work.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  511.3 KB*Attachment 586646586648
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    For d), it's worth 7 marks but I can't think of any other steps but I got to the right final answer.*Name:  work.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  511.3 KB*oAttachment 586646586648
    You are on the right track of using the current density formula. Why are you not simplifying it. The later part seems that you are just copying your question answer, instead of arriving the correct answer. I have pm you a link on a set of lecture videos which have all the queries that you have. I would really suggest that you talk your lecturer and seek feedback from them to know what skills are you lacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    You are on the right track of using the current density formula. Why are you not simplifying it. The later part seems that you are just copying your question answer, instead of arriving the correct answer. I have pm you a link on a set of lecture videos which have all the queries that you have. I would really suggest that you talk your lecturer and seek feedback from them to know what skills are you lacking.
    I asked the lecturer and he said to put psi-exp(ikx) on the incident current (left hand side) but I don't know why.

I've multiplied out the brackets and subtracted on the left hand side. Do I need to multiply all the right hand side and left hand side by h-bar/2im? or is it ok to leave it like this?

Name:  physics.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  508.4 KB

He says he wants me to show a calculation with complex e-functions to get T(c.c)*exp(-iqx)*iq*T*exp(ipx)=|T|^2*iq . How does that come about?

ReputationRep:
    I asked the lecturer and he said to put psi-exp(ikx) on the incident current (left hand side) but I don't know why.
    I am not sure which psi are you referring. You really need to know what does each term in the wavefunction mean, if not I really doubt you can even pass your exam - "plug and play" method would not work in quantum mechanics.

The wavefunction in region A has two terms - what do these two terms represent?
    The wavefunction in region B has only one term - why?

The particle current (or sometime people would call it current density) j helps to find the transmission coefficient through the following "definition":

T =| \frac{j_{transmitted}}{j_{incide  nt}}| ----- equation (1)

I've multiplied out the brackets and subtracted on the left hand side. Do I need to multiply all the right hand side and left hand side by h-bar/2im? or is it ok to leave it like this?

Name:  physics.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  508.4 KB
    Why did you equate jright to jleft?

You should apply the formula of j to incident wavefunction and transmitted wavefunction independently.

He says he wants me to show a calculation with complex e-functions to get T(c.c)*exp(-iqx)*iq*T*exp(ipx)=|T|^2*iq . How does that come about?
    Not sure what you mean? It does not make sense. How did you get rid of the exp() terms.

To do it problem, it involves three steps:

1) Find the jincident.
    2) Find the jtransmitted.
    3) Use equation and simplified the expression

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.