Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £70 too much for a simple laptop service? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need my laptop cleaned of dust and have a couple screws replaced or tightened. I was quoted 70 quid. Is that standard or a ripoff?
    Advice on where to get it done cheaper?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    That's a horrific rip off. Do it yourself.

Compressed air for dust removal costs about £5. The screws will cost pence and a screwdriver set is ~ £5 (and is useful beyond this particular job).

ReputationRep:
    Massive rip off. You don't even need a lot of specific knowledge and realistically this is something everyone should be able to do. I could understand getting someone to clean it but tightening screws?

Power down your laptop, make sure it's unplugged. If you can remove the battery (assuming it's one of those simple click lock ones)

Remove all the screws on the back cover, making sure you do remove every single one. You may find hidden screws under warranty stickers and such. If you're unsure look online for a guide or in the user manual.

Remove the back cover. This may require a bit of force, releasing specific catches or it may simply lift off. If you have to use any amount of force, use plastic tools and work your way around the edge of the device bit by bit. Do not put lots of force on one area as you may break or bend the casing

Once removed get your can of compressed air, hold it upright and aim the nozel where you want to clean. Use short bursts, don't tip the can and don't hold the trigger. Make sure you clean fans and other areas dust is likely to accumulate and affect performance. Don't worry too much about removing components to clean underneath.

When finished replace the back cover, replace all the screws, replace the battery if you took it out and voila. All done.

If you can look for a video online of someone tearing down or cleaning your laptop. It helps to see what you've got to do before you do it. If in doubt don't try to force anything, be patient and ask for help if you need it.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has been building and repairing desktops for over 10 years laptops are a major pain but £70 is still a rip off, I took one I got for £25 last year which was only a few years old apart and found it a nightmare to rebuilt so queried a local repair shop about the process telling them its fully working it just needs put back together and I thought their quote of £40 was expensive so its still in parts.

The worst part of a laptop and this is mostly if you gut it totally is the screen as the hinges are a pain to get back right. the other other problems I came across on a different laptop was the cable that attaches the screen and wifi aerial to the board as they have to follow a certain patern to not block anything else off and attached to base of motherboard.

ReputationRep:
    do it yourself for a fiver. too many con artists out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    As someone who has been building and repairing desktops for over 10 years laptops are a major pain but £70 is still a rip off, I took one I got for £25 last year which was only a few years old apart and found it a nightmare to rebuilt so queried a local repair shop about the process telling them its fully working it just needs put back together and I thought their quote of £40 was expensive so its still in parts.

The worst part of a laptop and this is mostly if you gut it totally is the screen as the hinges are a pain to get back right. the other other problems I came across on a different laptop was the cable that attaches the screen and wifi aerial to the board as they have to follow a certain patern to not block anything else off and attached to base of motherboard.
    Why did you completely dismantle it? I'm guessing you had a good reason but it seems a little excessive if you're just cleaning it. Unless of course it's a total mess or parts need replacing at which point I completely understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Why did you completely dismantle it? I'm guessing you had a good reason but it seems a little excessive if you're just cleaning it. Unless of course it's a total mess or parts need replacing at which point I completely understand
    Partly as the hdmi socket was playing up to wanted to check and see if any pins were bent, part as I wanted to do a proper clean and not air dusting it.

As it is I could probably fix it but lost the screws and remember the hinges being a major pain and the volume/power buttons that go on top of casing.

ReputationRep:
    I could do it for free.

i just built my new computer so have my tools handy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.