Turn on thread page Beta

Problems with Student Finance could delay loans watch

ReputationRep:
    According to Sunday Express there is a major problem with the computer system at the student loans company meaning that thousands of students could be waiting long into 1st semester for their loans.

The article says that there is a delay in processing the loans. I am not sure what this means? I have recieved confirmation of their decision regarding me so does this mean that I have been processed or that there will be a delay in processing the money to peoples accounts?

ReputationRep:
    Anonye have more specific information??? This will really mess me up at university like it will others if its true as I need to pay my accom and stuff like that!

Im depending on that loan and don't think I could actually manage with out it for even just into the first semester.......AHHHHHH

ReputationRep:
    all i know is is that the student finance website was down earlier on.

relevant - i dunno

ReputationRep:
    I actually wont be able to go to University if that happens....

ReputationRep:
    Well considering the story is in the Sunday Express I imagine its an absolutely huge problem and nobody will get their loan before Christmas :rolleyes: .

ReputationRep:
    I never thought of it like that....oh well

ReputationRep:
    They specifically mentioned Liverpool as one of the worst places as well. I've heard nothing from the council yet, and its been about 2 months since I sent my forms in.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any links to this information online?

ReputationRep:
    if your loan is delayed through no fault of your own, you may find that the uni will delay asking you for your accomodation payment (if your living in uni accomodation)....

however, if it does turn out that your loan does get delayed and you need to pay your stuff heres a novel idea.....your loan is roughly going to be just over £1000...which is about the same as your overdraft....so why not use your overdraft to pay your accomodation...and your loan to pay off your overdraft when the money does finally come in!

this is what i have to do as my rent goes out on August the 16 but my money comes in on october the 4th....so i'll have to be very very poor for 3 months!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I have resorted to, horror of horrors, getting my first ever job. So residents of Liverpool, you can sit back knowing your council tax is being well spent - paying me to do filing work which I managed to get through having a relative badger the recruitment people into reserving a job for me.

ReputationRep:
    I havent even received my confirmation of how much im getting! Ive had the letter saying they're processing it :rolleyes: and my birth certificate back. I sent mine off the week before the deadline and still nothing. even my boyfriend who sent his off 2 weeks after the deadline, has his confirmation and internet password (not that means a lot at the moment either)

Should I be getting worried?

ReputationRep:
    I sent mine off 5 weeks before the deadline, and I haven't had the confirmation of how much getting yet. They say you should hear within 6 weeks but when there's a backlog you can't blame them for being a bit slow. Patience peeple, do not fear!

ReputationRep:
    Uh oh!! If this is true and it affects me I think my Uni career will be over in about a week!! lol! (Dad, how about a little loan to your firstborn??) Hehe!

ReputationRep:
    I received a letter from my LEA saying that they were "currently not meeting targets for processing applications", fuc*ing wan*ers!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've got the loan request form back saying I can have up to £4,095. Now first thing is I thought the maximum was £4,000? Secondly, shouldn't I recieve the assessment about how much I pay towards tuition fees with this, or will that come direct from the LEA?

ReputationRep:
    The extra money on top of the £4000 is for an extra weeks loan (eg for freshers week), they always seem to do that. I got it last year

ReputationRep:
    just to ask a few things, i'm not going to get my loan on the first day of term cz i missed the deadline (woops) but i shud hopefully get it within the first week i think? anyway, are there certain things that need to be paid straight away on the first day like accom? or do they wait a week or so before asking you to cough up the cash?

ReputationRep:
    It'll probably be a few days, maybe a week or two before you need to pay for accom, and if you go and explain to them the situation they may make you allowances.

ReputationRep:
    don't fret - i only posted my form YESTERDAY! i am just gonna use my overdraft/ money i have earned on my gap year to start me off... so you can always just take a year out and defer till 05.

ReputationRep:
    with exeter they tell you you have to pay it on the first day of term (ie the monday after freshers week) but i think you have about a month before they start charging you late fees...

love Katy ***

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.