Wanting to move to America

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Good Evening all,

I wanted to start a discussion... I want to move to America in the not too distant future and I am currently 17 with no family over there at all.

I am currently doing a Business Admin apprenticeship with the NHS and have 10 gcses, 3/4 NVQs and haven't been to uni due to funding. Have a recognised certificate in stocks and shares after I came 4th with my group in the IFS Student Investor challenge (IFS University in London)

Other than that I don't have anything really other than a strong knowledge on the stock exchange.

Couple of questions:

1. How do I go about trying to get a green card?

2. What are the chances of this dream becoming a reality?

3. What advice would you give to someone who wants to move abroad asap?

As I'm currently only on an apprenticeship I'm eating just under 9k a year, but as it's with the NHS I thought that might be bonus point haha.

ReputationRep:
    It;s very hard to legally immigrate to the United States without any in-demand skills and qualifications. Your best bet would be entering the green card lottery but this is rare. Your qualifications are unfortunately far too low to be given legal immigration to the US. I say you should probably go to university, get a job in the financial services or insurance industry in the UK (or another high-skilled profession) and then seek to transfer to a US office.

You also need to be able to pay for a house and essentials when you're in the US.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.