Has anyone else not bought a car, months/years after passing their test?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I passed back in May. I have not bought a car yet due to a number factors, money, not having time to research, not feeling that its the right time. I dont feel I need a car. although having one would be nice: Driving to local shops, visiting family close by, parking at Uni is horrible so wont drive there, driving locally to gain my confidence mainly it will be used for.

I do practice in my dads car for about half an hour, most Sundays around quiet roads, where I had my very first lessons. Yes yes, I know its illegal but its really quiet. It has everything there for refreshing my driving memory/skills: lots of turnings, T-junctions, hill, parallel parking etc. But I feel that the longer it goes on without a car to drive most days, I will forget, or lose confidence, even though drivin g on Sundays are refreshers for me.

Does anyone else not have a car yet after passing? Maybe months ago or even years ago since passing your test?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get a car for 5 years after I passed. I didn't have any practice during that time either.

ReputationRep:
    I passed a few months back but haven't bought a car yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I didn't get a car for 5 years after I passed. I didn't have any practice during that time either.
    5 years!? wow. Are you driving now I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumford & Dragons)
    5 years!? wow. Are you driving now I guess?
    Well not right now, no, but in general yes. I have 7 years no claims and have advanced driving qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    I passed in May 2014 and only bought my car last month.

ReputationRep:
    Passed in June. Hoping to get a car as a graduation present to myself next July but general impression I've received is that it's best to wait. I'm scared I might forget though lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.