The Student Room Group

What GCSEs do I need to study computer science at oxford

Hi, I'm in Year 9 and I'm coming up to choosing my options and I'm aware Oxford don't specify any GCSEs but my teachers say about something called the Ebacc but I'm really just not sure what I should take since I only have 3 to choose from after the compulsory and triple science. As well would it make a difference that i go to a state school in the north east of England?

Thanks

Harry
Original post by HClarkson
Hi, I'm in Year 9 and I'm coming up to choosing my options and I'm aware Oxford don't specify any GCSEs but my teachers say about something called the Ebacc but I'm really just not sure what I should take since I only have 3 to choose from after the compulsory and triple science. As well would it make a difference that i go to a state school in the north east of England?

Thanks

Harry

Just do GCSE's you can get straight A*'s in (or at least as many as possible) and then the obvious maths, English, science

Posted from TSR Mobile
To study CompSci at Oxford you need at least an A in A Level maths. So tbh the GCSEs that you need are the ones that enable you to do maths/further maths and computer science at A Level (if you want to do all three, of course).

Thanks

Harry

Well, if you've already got triple science and maths, then pick whatever you want. However, I suppose it would be nice to get a statistics/further maths GCSE in(though it's far from the end of the world).

Thanks

Harry

Doing Maths plus triple science sounds great. If your school offers Computer Science GCSE, that's probably a good idea, but not essential. Beyond that, take subjects that you enjoy.

Oxford does not require the EBacc. To be honest, I think the EBacc is a really bad idea, making fairly arbitrary distinctions between different subjects. The EBacc subjects suit some students well. But not all students are the same, and for some a different choice of subjects is appropriate.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending