The Student Room Group

Help with A level Chemistry - Kp question

Hi, could someone please help me with this question?

The reaction between carbon monoxide and hydrogen proceeds according to the equilibrium CO(g) + 2H2(g) == CH3OH(g) A vessel contains 0.1 mole of carbon monoxide. After 0.3 mole of hydrogen is added, 0.06 mol of methanol are formed. The pressure was kept constant at 300 kPa. Calculate the equilibrium constant Kp.
Original post by rose1234

The reaction between carbon monoxide and hydrogen proceeds according to the equilibrium CO(g) + 2H2(g) == CH3OH(g) A vessel contains 0.1 mole of carbon monoxide. After 0.3 mole of hydrogen is added, 0.06 mol of methanol are formed. The pressure was kept constant at 300 kPa. Calculate the equilibrium constant Kp.

Figure out how many moles of each compound is left at equilbirum. Work out the concetration.

And then kp=[CH3OH][CO][H2]2\mathrm{k_p=\dfrac{[CH_3OH]}{[CO][H_2]^2}}
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rose1234

There is a little more to it than the previous post, if you need kp not kc.

You must first work out the moles of each component at equilibrium.

Then you have to work out the partial pressure of each component by multiplying the total pressure by the mole fraction.

Then you have to plug these values into the kp equilibrium law ...

Quick Reply

Latest