Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is λ*(AUB) >= λ*(A)+λ*(B)? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let λ* be the Lebesgue outer measure. Suppose A and B are disjoint intervals. And they are subsets of R.

Is it true that λ*(AUB) >= λ*(A)+λ*(B)?

I want to show λ*(AUB) = λ*(A)+λ*(B) but so far have only managed to show λ*(AUB) <= λ*(A)+λ*(B) using countable subadditivity.

Any ideas how to get the inequality I need to finish this off?

The only tools I have are the properties of λ* (countable subadditivity, monotonicity)

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cliveb2016)
    Let λ* be the Lebesgue outer measure. Suppose A and B are disjoint intervals. And they are subsets of R.

λ*(AUB) = λ*(A)+λ*(B)
    Isn't this false as stated, for general subsets of R? You need both A and B to be Lebesgue measurable to get to work, I think, unless I'm misreading you. For the case when they are Lebesgue measurable, the proof that I have seen proceeds from definition of the Caratheodory criterion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Isn't this false as stated, for general subsets of R? You need both A and B to be Lebesgue measurable to get to work, I think, unless I'm misreading you. For the case when they are Lebesgue measurable, the proof that I have seen proceeds from definition of the Caratheodory criterion.
    Well A and B are both intervals rather than general subsets so they are Lebesgue measurable.

ReputationRep:
    Well A and B are both intervals rather than general subsets so they are Lebesgue measurable.
    Fair enough - I missed this. Then maybe my comment re: the Caratheodory criterion will help - I'm afraid I can't give a better hint without looking up the proof myself, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:

Is it true that λ*(AUB) >= λ*(A)+λ*(B)?

I want to show λ*(AUB) = λ*(A)+λ*(B) but so far have only managed to show λ*(AUB) <= λ*(A)+λ*(B) using countable subadditivity.

Any ideas how to get the inequality I need to finish this off?

The only tools I have are the properties of λ* (countable subadditivity, monotonicity)

Any help?
    The quickest way i can think of for this is to go through the standard proof that the outer lebesgue measure of an interval is its length, and then think about the interval A U B U C where C is the bit between the intervals A and B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    The quickest way i can think of for this is to go through the standard proof that the outer lebesgue measure of an interval is its length, and then think about the interval A U B U C where C is the bit between the intervals A and B.
    Suppose the Lebesgue outer measure of an interval (a,b) (can be open closed or half and half) is |b-a|.

Suppose WLOG that the intervals are positive and can be split as A=[a,b], B=[c,d] and C=(b,c) where a<b<c<d.

Suppose that the intervals are also finite (since if not inequality holds trivially)

Then λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) = (d-a)-(c-b) >= (b-a)+(d-c)=λ*(A)+λ*(B)

Does that make any sense or have I missed your point completely? I'm not sure about λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) .

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Suppose the Lebesgue outer measure of an interval (a,b) (can be open closed or half and half) is |b-a|.

Suppose WLOG that the intervals are positive and can be split as A=[a,b], B=[c,d] and C=(b,c) where a<b<c<d.

Suppose that the intervals are also finite (since if not inequality holds trivially)

Then λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) = (d-a)-(c-b) >= (b-a)+(d-c)=λ*(A)+λ*(B)

Does that make any sense or have I missed your point completely? I'm not sure about λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) .

Thanks
    The way I went about it was to note that

\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B \bigcup C) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by the interval property. But then this is

\lambda^{*}((A \bigcup B) \bigcup C) \le \lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by subadditivity, which then gives you the reverse inequality that you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    The way I went about it was to note that

\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B \bigcup C) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by the interval property. But then this is

\lambda^{*}((A \bigcup B) \bigcup C) \le \lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by subadditivity, which then gives you the reverse inequality that you want.
    I want to prove that
    \lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) so I don't think I can't use the interval property.

I actually want to prove this property for just 2 disjoint intervals?

ReputationRep:
    I want to prove that
    \lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) so I don't think I can't use the interval property.

My previous post gives you

\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) \ge \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B)

which was the original inequality you were seeking in order to prove the equality.

ReputationRep:
    I want to prove that

There is a proof that goes something like this:

1. Given \epsilon &gt;0 we can find a countable cover I_n such that  \sum_{n=0}^\infty l(I_n) \le \lambda^*(A \cup B) + \epsilon .

This follows from the infimum definition of the outer measure.

2. Since A \cap B=\emptyset, we can split the I_n cover into two disjoint covers for A,B.

3. We can apply countable subadditivity of outer measure to complete the inequality with \epsilon in place.

4. Note that  \forall \epsilon &gt; 0, x  &lt; \epsilon \Rightarrow x = 0

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.