Uploaded facebook photo reduced in quality

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    why does this happen?

I'm only uploading a photo as my profile pic which is around a couple hundred kb, not a big file at all, and yet compared to how it looked originally, the photo on fb is noticeably worse in quality, it's grainier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepless steve)
    why does this happen?

I'm only uploading a photo as my profile pic which is around a couple hundred kb, not a big file at all, and yet compared to how it looked originally, the photo on fb is noticeably worse in quality, it's grainier.
    That's how facebook works. They take any content you upload and have to compress it. Maybe you only had a few hundred KB. But what happens when you factor in the supposedly billion plus accounts? Assuming 1,000,000,000KB is 1TB you're looking at several hundred TB just to store everyone's profile picture. Factor in that people have hundreds, maybe thousands of other photos, videos, etc. and you realise that to store all the data at it's original resolution would take ridiculous amounts of storage.

It's necessary from a storage point of view to reduce the quality but it helps in other ways. Lets say FB is trying to load a page for you and all the images are at high resolutions. It'll take longer to load that page as a result, compared to lower resolutions. By reducing the quality you also reduce loading times and the amount of traffic involved.

This is oversimplified but highlights two of the major points related to storing images (and any other media for that matter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's how facebook works. They take any content you upload and have to compress it. Maybe you only had a few hundred KB. But what happens when you factor in the supposedly billion plus accounts? Assuming 1,000,000,000KB is 1TB you're looking at several hundred TB just to store everyone's profile picture. Factor in that people have hundreds, maybe thousands of other photos, videos, etc. and you realise that to store all the data at it's original resolution would take ridiculous amounts of storage.

It's necessary from a storage point of view to reduce the quality but it helps in other ways. Lets say FB is trying to load a page for you and all the images are at high resolutions. It'll take longer to load that page as a result, compared to lower resolutions. By reducing the quality you also reduce loading times and the amount of traffic involved.

This is oversimplified but highlights two of the major points related to storing images (and any other media for that matter)
    I sort of get it.

But how comes my photo looks so much grainier than others?

If all photos get compressed down so it falls under a certain file size, I don't understand why there is such a difference in quality of images between difference profile pics of people. Some appear more or less in HD, they are very sharp and the photo is crisp and clear. Whereas mine looks quite grainy, noticeably more so than the original.

and there's a difference in the file size of the profile pics of people (on their facebook, after compression). I checked out a few, they vary from 30kb to just under 100kb (which I assume is the limit). I uploaded my profile photo in PNG format at over 4mb, but it gets compressed to 50kb. Is there a reason why the compressed photo can't be closer to the 100kb max limit instead? Presumbly, that would maintain a lot more of the quality, seeing as it's twice the size of what my profile photo has been compressed to at the moment

edit: I've seen a few fb profile photos which are 300kb in size, strange, I thought the compressed max size is 100kb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepless steve)
    I sort of get it.

But how comes my photo looks so much grainier than others?

If all photos get compressed down so it falls under a certain file size, I don't understand why there is such a difference in quality of images between difference profile pics of people. Some appear more or less in HD, they are very sharp and the photo is crisp and clear. Whereas mine looks quite grainy, noticeably more so than the original.

and there's a difference in the file size of the profile pics of people (on their facebook, after compression). I checked out a few, they vary from 30kb to just under 100kb (which I assume is the limit). I uploaded my profile photo in PNG format at over 4mb, but it gets compressed to 50kb. Is there a reason why the compressed photo can't be closer to the 100kb max limit instead? Presumbly, that would maintain a lot more of the quality, seeing as it's twice the size of what my profile photo has been compressed to at the moment

edit: I've seen a few fb profile photos which are 300kb in size, strange, I thought the compressed max size is 100kb
    That I can't answer because I don't know the exact nature of the algorithms Facebook uses to compress photos. It also keeps changing too. You might see a photo that was uploaded under a different compression algorithm and thus it looks completely different in terms of quality.

It's not a simple matter of all photos being compressed in the same way. A photo that's high resolution won't look as bad compressed as a low resolution photo for example. I just downloaded both my profile picture and cover photo. They're both 224KB and look good quality. My profile picture in particular was scaled down to have a width of 2048 pixels which is what Facebook recommends as the minimum you upload. The original was a 300 DPI scan of a photo which was well above that 2048 limit so it doesn't look terrible when scaled down. If you assumed that all photos did get compressed down to be under 100KB then a 4K photo will still look better than a 2K photo for example. But there are lots of factors that go into this. Has the photo been compressed before for example.

Keep in mind that the actual digital size (in KB) of the file doesn't really matter. Look at the size in pixels and work out what resolution you're getting. If you're not uploading a high quality image to begin with it won't end up looking as good when compressed. Without actually seeing the image it's difficult to say what the issue could be. And even if you were willing to post it up or send it via PM or something it would naturally get compressed by TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have this problem. When you upload to an album, these is a tick box for storing high quality images - make sure this is selected. There only appears to be an option for this in albums, but my other uploaded pictures, while compressed, are still decent quality. You probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you downloaded it and compared it to the original.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.