Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm usually a pretty organised person so this is unusual but I have almost no idea on what universities to apply to. I've probably researched them overall for 50+ hours now including quite a few open days and I still haven't really got an idea.

I'm going to be studying Maths (a decision which took a couple of months to decide on itself), so the courses vary very little between unis on what is actually taught, the biggest variation comes in the amount of choice of non-maths modules you can take. So the actual course doesn't really help to narrow down any unis.

Also, I have no idea whether i would prefer a firendly campus or a vibrant city or somewhere in between, as long as I find friends on my wavelength ill be happy anywhere. I don't really care about location (I live in Somerset and wouldn't mind going all the way up to Scotland) and don't have any particular interests or sports that require any facilities. I do play music as a hobby and would consider joining a band or something similar but the facilities such as practice rooms for those are similar everywhere in the more academic unis (Russel groups, etc) as far as i can tell, i may be wrong.

My biggest dilemma though is whether to apply to Oxbridge or not. I'm fairly confident in my ability to get the grades for it, however some aspects really dont appeal to me, such as only being there for 24 weeks, and in those weeks having to do near constant work/study. As an extension, I've been to Durham, Warwick and other 'top 5' unis such as London Imperial open days and didn't like the look of any of them particularly and from other people I've heard the social life is not the greatest (a really bad thing to judge what uni to go to on, i know). However, I would feel like I would be wasting my potential if I didn't at least apply to one of the higher ones such as durham, let alone Oxbridge (sounds pretentious, I know). I know they say you hsouldn't feel pressured to apply, but I can't help it when everyone else in my school and the years above who has/had the potential to go to the higher unis are applying for them (which is only a handful of people) which makes me think maybe I should?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can spare some time to read this and help me decide or put my mind at ease, this has been stressing me to no end

Cheers
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sepulcher64)
    Hi all,

I'm usually a pretty organised person so this is unusual but I have almost no idea on what universities to apply to. I've probably researched them overall for 50+ hours now including quite a few open days and I still haven't really got an idea.

I'm going to be studying Maths (a decision which took a couple of months to decide on itself), so the courses vary very little between unis on what is actually taught, the biggest variation comes in the amount of choice of non-maths modules you can take. So the actual course doesn't really help to narrow down any unis.

Also, I have no idea whether i would prefer a firendly campus or a vibrant city or somewhere in between, as long as I find friends on my wavelength ill be happy anywhere. I don't really care about location (I live in Somerset and wouldn't mind going all the way up to Scotland) and don't have any particular interests or sports that require any facilities. I do play music as a hobby and would consider joining a band or something similar but the facilities such as practice rooms for those are similar everywhere in the more academic unis (Russel groups, etc) as far as i can tell, i may be wrong.

My biggest dilemma though is whether to apply to Oxbridge or not. I'm fairly confident in my ability to get the grades for it, however some aspects really dont appeal to me, such as only being there for 24 weeks, and in those weeks having to do near constant work/study. As an extension, I've been to Durham, Warwick and other 'top 5' unis such as London Imperial open days and didn't like the look of any of them particularly and from other people I've heard the social life is not the greatest (a really bad thing to judge what uni to go to on, i know). However, I would feel like I would be wasting my potential if I didn't at least apply to one of the higher ones such as durham, let alone Oxbridge (sounds pretentious, I know). I know they say you hsouldn't feel pressured to apply, but I can't help it when everyone else in my school and the years above who has/had the potential to go to the higher unis are applying for them (which is only a handful of people) which makes me think maybe I should?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can spare some time to read this and help me decide or put my mind at ease, this has been stressing me to no end

Cheers
    You can apply to Cambridge or Oxford now, in time for their deadline, and then add your other choices later.

Note, if you do this you can't make any other changes to your application. PS and reference etc remains the same throughout.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You can apply to Cambridge or Oxford now, in time for their deadline, and then add your other choices later.

Note, if you do this you can't make any other changes to your application. PS and reference etc remains the same throughout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? I asked my school and they said that you have to send it all off at the same time although I wouldn't trust their knowledge. Any idea how to go about doing that?

ReputationRep:
    Really? I asked my school and they said that you have to send it all off at the same time although I wouldn't trust their knowledge. Any idea how to go about doing that?
    You can just keep adding universities until you hit 5; you don't have to send them all off at once.

Your school is lying to you.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Just submit it with your Oxbridge choice. And then add the others later via Track. You can add them all one at a time ... It's entirely up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    And just to add, all your choices will give you full and equal consideration if you apply before 15th January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.