why are a lot of Pakistanis ashamed of their ethnicity?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a British Pakistani and it upsets me when I see other countries such as turkey, mexico, Spain having their flags everywhere, being proud of their language and culture. I wish my people were more proud of their culture and would show it off just as much.

is it the medias fault? giving south Asians a bad name?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    because pakistan is a terrible country, hence why pakistanis in the UK don't want to live there anymore
    I'm not being "racist" - pakistan is a host to misogyny, rape, homophobia, child violence, child marriage, stark political corruption and authoritarianism, poverty, relative illiteracy, terrorist-protection, etc - compare that to the UK. it's simply not a good country to live in by any metric. why would you think pakistanis should be proud of pakistan? are you saying that any citizen of any country should actually be proud of their country whether or not it is actually good? that's insane. should you encourage north koreas to be supportive of north korea, for instance? "culture" is one thing, but the substantive and holistic reality is quite another

ReputationRep:
    I'm not ashamed of my ethnicity. I just don't like Pakistan. I'm never visiting that corrupt backwards shithole pathetic excuse for a country ever again. You'd feel the same way if you married someone from Pakistan, she screws you over on false allegations, she claims she'll be killed if she returns to Pakistan and thus gains an IRL Visa in the UK (yet, she still goes to Pakistan on holiday, what a ****ing mockery to the British legal system and UK immigration) and leaves us treated as criminals. Legal fees thus far: approx £70K+ and counting. In addition, you, me and everyone else is paying for her free accommodation, benefits etc. as a taxpayer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    I'm not ashamed of my ethnicity. I just don't like Pakistan. I'm never visiting that corrupt backwards shithole pathetic excuse for a country ever again. You'd feel the same way if you married someone from Pakistan, she screws you over on false allegations, she claims she'll be killed if she returns to Pakistan and thus gains an IRL Visa in the UK (yet, she still goes to Pakistan on holiday, what a ****ing mockery to the British legal system and UK immigration) and leaves us treated as criminals. Legal fees thus far: approx £70K+ and counting. In addition, you, me and everyone else is paying for her free accommodation, benefits etc. as a taxpayer.
    Sounds like you're telling us your life story

ReputationRep:
    Omg I LOVE my ethnicity! There's nothing to be ashamed about. I have NEVER been ashamed of my ethnicity. Why should I be? LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife.)
    Sounds like you're telling us your life story
    Hardly. Just a very small part, and even that was just one example, there's plenty more. Do you have anything to contribute to the thread topic?

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. Just a very small part, and even that was just one example, there's plenty more. Do you have anything to contribute to the thread topic?
    I'm sorry for the troll account dissing you. That is not me.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan is full of dumb sufis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    I'm sorry for the troll account dissing you. That is not me.
    Cheers - it'll be taken care of.

ReputationRep:
    I know one Pakistani girl tgat got offended when I told her she looked Pakistan? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unaManzana)
    I'm a British Pakistani and it upsets me when I see other countries such as turkey, mexico, Spain having their flags everywhere, being proud of their language and culture. I wish my people were more proud of their culture and would show it off just as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How is it the media's fault if an individual is not proud of his or her ethnicity?

Pride in your heritage is good; more importantly, however, is pride in being part of your community and being a morally 'good' person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    How is it the media's fault if an individual is not proud of his or her ethnicity?

Pride in your heritage is good; more importantly, however, is pride in being part of your community and being a morally 'good' person.
    because the media is known to over exaggerate in an attempt to cause hate and fear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would never marry anyone from Pakistan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not ashamed to be pakistani however i do agree that the country is a bit corrupt there are parts of pakistan that are nice but on a hole it is a shithole. There are a lot of perverts, a lot of murder, a lot of abuse to women and children and a lot of rape going on there. So being a feminist i wouldn't particularly say that i think pakistan is a wonderful country however i feel like if the people there were more open-minded it could be something good, i do love my culture but the country is another story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiran.malik123)
    I'm not ashamed to be pakistani however i do agree that the country is a bit corrupt there are parts of pakistan that are nice but on a hole it is a shithole. There are a lot of perverts, a lot of murder, a lot of abuse to women and children and a lot of rape going on there. So being a feminist i wouldn't particularly say that i think pakistan is a wonderful country however i feel like if the people there were more open-minded it could be something good, i do love my culture but the country is another story.
    I agree 100%

still though, mexico is quite similar in terms of corruption

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because...

I'd be ashamed too if I was Pakistani

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's all banter bhai saab

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    apart from having good food i've never heard a good word said about pakistanis or indians, i guess thats why they are ashamed.

from all the bad news that comes from there i can see why they are ashamed. if pakistanis want change they should start to make a change, lets start seeing men treat women equally - no more rapes, 'honour' killings, forced marriages, neglecting girls from being educated, women expected to be housewives, wives expected to live with their husbands families etc

ReputationRep:
    I agree 100%

still though, mexico is quite similar in terms of corruption

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that is true

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my experience they're quite proud. The ones who appear ashamed are somalians.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What are you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.