pound has dropped so much, arent you guys worried?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of £ in my bank, could have bought something else that can retain value. Just didn't thought it would be this bad.

ReputationRep:
    It has always been overvalued.

ReputationRep:
    you should've brought bitcoin

edit - a drop in the value of the pound means imports will cost us more. This means the poor will suffer more + the inequality of wealth will increase. As well as that to my memories didn't Nigel Farage say that voting brexit is for the working class?

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation to you, Lord King (Former Bank of England Governor) said that the lower pound is a "welcome change". Speaking from New York, where he's currently teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novaDRGN)
    If it's any consolation to you, Lord King (Former Bank of England Governor) said that the lower pound is a "welcome change". Speaking from New York, where he's currently teaching.
    He gets paid in dollars and have seen his money gain 15% against the pound. No wonder he welcomes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    It has always been overvalued.
    Foreigners certainly agree with you. How much of your money have you changed into other currencies?

ReputationRep:
    I am concerned at the increased cost of imported goods that may result- retailers warned about this only yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zainyyyyy)
    Good idea for an investment

ReputationRep:
    Lol who cares Britain is 'independent' now 😂

ReputationRep:
    Yes it ain't great. Only things that can save it are an EU collapse andTrump getting elected :-)

ReputationRep:
    No it's fine,won't have a huge impact on prices. Good for British exporters

ReputationRep:
    Lol its just volatility calm down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Good idea for an investment
    Erm I don't think so. Bitcoins are **** and their value is decreasing over time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    Erm I don't think so. Bitcoins are **** and their value is decreasing over time
    interesting :curious: I thought it was a popular investment opportunity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    interesting :curious: I thought it was a popular investment opportunity
    Their value was very high a few years ago and trading bitcoin was very hot because it was so cool to see a digital currency fall or rise against real currencies but now its really about to crash and besides there is no market for it no matter how many small black market/ niche companies ask for bitcoin in their transactions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I mean I was against brexit, the pound's value decreasing was one of the reasons why I disagreed with brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Couldnt care less, the increased value of my investments has more than covered the falling pound value.

Regardless; having a weak pound isn't necessarily a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetstars)
    Yeah, I mean I was against brexit, the pound's value decreasing was one of the reasons why I disagreed with brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you were so convinced of that as a certainty why did you not go out and panic buy foreign currency to then sell back now? Let's be honest; you, just like everyone else, didn't have a clue what would happen nor what the results (if any) will be.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zainyyyyy)

edit - a drop in the value of the pound means imports will cost us more. This means the poor will suffer more + the inequality of wealth will increase. As well as that to my memories didn't Nigel Farage say that voting brexit is for the working class?
    yeah but every time it drops significantly it's only for a short amount of time and then it picks back up again quite a bit, so I don't think there will be THAT much effect on poorer people, unless it means supermarkets pass on the possibly slightly increased costs of importing their products to customers which again is unlikely unless it continually drops. Why would you say it would increase inequality? I'm only asking not trying to make it sound rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    if you were so convinced of that as a certainty why did you not go out and panic buy foreign currency to then sell back now? Let's be honest; you, just like everyone else, didn't have a clue what would happen nor what the results (if any) will be.*
    Don't think anyone did tbh!! People either listened to politicians which is possibly the worst idea ever imaginable considering some of the b.s. they go on about some times... Or they just went from their narrow thinking about immigrants or thinking the EU is some sort of hellish place, not sure why! But I think if people thought about it logically and some knowledge of idk Economics?! it may have been different + if 16-18 year olds would have voted it would have been majority remain for sure, which would have made more sense as we ARE the future generation, not the pensioners and over 65's whom don't like the EU because of history/past events.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.