Loughborough Applicants and FAQs 2017

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    This is some information for all prospective applicants for 2017.

It's also a thread where you can have a general chat and ask any questions you can't find the answer to.

The most common FAQs are answered in the drop downs below, so have a look there first.

There are a lot of answers on the University website too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need.

How to Apply

Applications for all undergraduate courses at Loughborough must be made online through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). This applies to all UK, EU and international students.

For entry in 2017, the application deadline for the majority of undergraduate courses is 15 January 2017. Applications received after this date will only be considered if places are still available.

Loughborough’s institution name is LBRO, and our institution code is L79.

Entry Requirements

We accept a very wide range of qualifications for entry to Loughborough.

We’d advise you to check the details of the particular course you are interested in as most will specify which subjects are accepted and the grades required.

A-levels
    You would normally have at least three full GCE A-Levels. General Studies is not normally accepted, although there are a few courses that do.

GCSEs
    You would also need a Grade C minimum in English and Mathematics. Some courses require a minimum of Grade B in these subjects.

Other Qualifications
    We also accept the following qualifications:
    · International Baccalaureate Diploma
    · SQA
    · Welsh Baccalaureate
    · Irish Highers
    · BTECs· Acces to HE Diploma
    · Advanced Diploma
    · Open University OpenPlus
    · Extended Project
    · European Baccalaureate
    · French Baccalaureate
    · German Abitur
    · Many other international qualifications

English Language requirements
    All students also need to meet the University’s English language requirements. You can find the full details here.

More Information
    You can find out everything you need to know in more detail on our general entrance requirements webpage.

International students

We welcome applications from International students and we currently have over 1,000 undergraduate international students studying here. We’d advise you to check our English Language requirements especially if English is not your first language.

Mature students

If you’re 21 or over at the time your course starts you’ll be considered a mature student. You can find out more about studying here as a mature student, including the significant financial assistance that is available to you.

Deferred Entry

Each year a number of applicants decide to take a gap year and defer entry for 12 months. In most cases, the University encourages this, providing the year is spent pursuing worthwhile activities.

Fees and Finance

All courses (including Foundation Years) charge £9,250 for UK/EU students for the 2017-18 academic year. For international students, course fees vary depending on whether the course is Band A or Band B. For the 2017-18 academic year, Band A courses are set at £16,000; Band B courses are set at £19,900. Exact course fees can be found on the fees and finance tab of our individual course pages.

We’ve put together some information on the funding available to you including scholarships, bursaries and sponsorships which you might find helpful.

After Applying

How long does it take to reply

It’s difficult to answer this as there are so many different factors. However, we do reply to everyone, so it's a case of being patient and waiting for your response.

Interviews

Some courses hold interviews and some don’t, you’d need to check for your specific course. Just because you are invited to an interview it doesn’t mean you are guaranteed an offer.

Visit Days

If you are based in the UK you’ll normally be invited to a visit day for your school/department. You’ll get to see your school/department facilities, speak to staff and students and see the campus.

Rejected despite meeting the minimum entry requirements

You are still not guaranteed a place even if you meet the minimum requirements. A lot of our courses are highly competitive.

After Receiving an Offer

Replying to an offer

If you’re made an offer, you have to reply via UCAS Track. There are certain deadlines in place for doing this and these all depend on when UCAS receive your last decision.

For more details about how it works, you can visit the UCAS Replying to your offer webpage which will tell you what everything means and what you need to do.

Accommodation

Here's a link to the accommodation thread that should answer most of your questions.

Results Day and Clearing

On results day, you’ll be informed of your results via UCAS Track. If you’ve been successful, you’ll also get an e-mail from us letting you know that you’ve got in.

If you haven’t been successful for whatever reason, there is always the option of Clearing (or Adjustment if you’ve done much better than predicted).

We can’t say what will be available for 2017 because at this stage we have no idea, but 2016 Clearing and Adjustment offered a lot of opportunities.

Hopefully all of this helps a bit towards answering some of your questions!

Vicky & Amy

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd start a thread for everyone applying to Loughborough. Put your course, when you applied, GCSE Grades, A-Level Predicted Grades and if you get an offer.

Course: Sport and Exercise Science (4yrSW)
    GCSE Grades: AAAABBBBBC
    A-Level Predicted Grades: Distinction* Distinction* A

No offer from Loughborough yet though!

ReputationRep:
    I applied almost a month ago for Sport and Exercise Science, got an acknowledgement on the 15th of September and received the 'Welcome to Loughborough email on the 29th of September. Will I hear anything about whether my application has been successful or not soon?

(Also thank you so much for starting this thread, I've been looking for a Loughborough thread)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie419)
    I applied almost a month ago for Sport and Exercise Science, got an acknowledgement on the 15th of September and received the 'Welcome to Loughborough email on the 29th of September. Will I hear anything about whether my application has been successful or not soon?

(Also thank you so much for starting this thread, I've been looking for a Loughborough thread)
    Hi Ellie419

The Admissions Office are starting to make offers as of this week, so fingers crossed you will hear soon. It's a long job though so don't panic if you don't hear from them straightaway - they will be making their way through everyone's applications as quickly as they can. Try to not to worry, they reply to all applicants so you will hear from them at some point

Amy

ReputationRep:
    I've just heard that Loughborough will start replying to applications this week. They have an FAQs thread for anyone who wants to ask them a question

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for both industrial design and tech and product design and tech. Hoping to get my application sent off early next week. In terms of interviews, how much notice do you get beforehand in order to organise a suitable portfolio and complete the design task?

ReputationRep:
    Course: Product design tech/Industrial design tech
    GCSE Grades: A*A*A*AAAAABB and a Merit in BTEC Sport
    A-Level Predicted Grades: A*AA

Applied: 18/10/16

ReputationRep:
    Course: Mathematics and Statistics
    GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAB
    A-Level Predicted Grades: AAA

Has anyone received any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. But if they're starting to reply this week then I reckon people will have heard by Friday.

Anyone else get the 'welcome to Loughborough email' ?

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. But if they're starting to reply this week then I reckon people will have heard by Friday.

Anyone else get the 'welcome to Loughborough email' ?
    Nope, not yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbbieL)
    Nope, not yet
    I'm not sure if it is a good sign or not. But I'm hoping it is. Loughborough is my top uni by a long way

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it is a good sign or not. But I'm hoping it is. Loughborough is my top uni by a long way
    Same! It blew me away at the open day in June. Been aiming for Loughborough before then though it looks that good. Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I'm applying to Loughborough to study History!

GCSE Grades: 10 A* 2 A
    AS: AAAAC
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A

I absolutely love the uni, probably going to be my insurance choice - the open day was fab! I'm a cricketer so the sports facilities and programmes have done it for me really
    Good luck to everyone applying!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=AbbieL;67990240]Same! It blew me away at the open day in June. Been aiming for Loughborough before then though it looks that good. Where else are you applying?

Thats the same for me. I've applied to Nottingham Trent, Surrey, Kent and Southampton Solent. Surrey was a lot like Loughborough on the open day so its a good back up if I don't get Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amygracebroad)
    Hello guys, I'm applying to Loughborough to study History!

GCSE Grades: 10 A* 2 A
    AS: AAAAC
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A

I absolutely love the uni, probably going to be my insurance choice - the open day was fab! I'm a cricketer so the sports facilities and programmes have done it for me really
    Good luck to everyone applying!
    I'm a cricketer as well!!!!! Will you be applying for the MCCU if you get in? Loughborough is 100% my firm. I'm sure its 2nd in the country for my course (Edinburgh was 1st but thats too far for me)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a cricketer as well!!!!! Will you be applying for the MCCU if you get in? Loughborough is 100% my firm. I'm sure its 2nd in the country for my course (Edinburgh was 1st but thats too far for me)
    yes definitely! I've applied for four MCCU universities, it's a huge priority for me haha! Who do you play for?

ReputationRep:
    yes definitely! I've applied for four MCCU universities, it's a huge priority for me haha! Who do you play for?
    I play for Dorset. Who do you play for? I looked at all the MCCU universities but Loughborough was the only one with the correct course programme for me. I'm a fast bowler by the way, what about you, batsman or a bowler?

ReputationRep:
    I play for Dorset. Who do you play for? I looked at all the MCCU universities but Loughborough was the only one with the correct course programme for me. I'm a fast bowler by the way, what about you, batsman or a bowler?
    I play for Durham - couldn't be much further away from each other haha! Yeah I'm a fast bowler too
    Because History is such a standard course I had pretty much free range of universities, so it was easy in that sense. What are you looking to study?

ReputationRep:
    I play for Durham - couldn't be much further away from each other haha! Yeah I'm a fast bowler too
    Because History is such a standard course I had pretty much free range of universities, so it was easy in that sense. What are you looking to study?
    I want to study Sport and Exercise Science, Leeds are the only other uni that do it and their approach to the course was more for medical uses rather than working with athletes. Well hey if we both get in we could be team-mates next year! My bowling is definetly helped by my height and the fact that i have rridiculously long arms (Genuinely I have longer arms than my 26 year old brother who is 6ft 3

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ellie419;67997988]
    (Original post by AbbieL)
    Same! It blew me away at the open day in June. Been aiming for Loughborough before then though it looks that good. Where else are you applying?

Thats the same for me. I've applied to Nottingham Trent, Surrey, Kent and Southampton Solent. Surrey was a lot like Loughborough on the open day so its a good back up if I don't get Loughborough
    I literally have no uni that's as good as Loughborough but I would be happy at Huddersfield because I went to their open day before the Loughborough one and was impressed until I visited Loughborough after it. I'm only applying to four universities because I'm applying for two courses at Loughborough and then Huddersfield, Leeds and Central Lancashire

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.