Change in Maintenance loan

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a maintenance loan with my circumstances as "Living at Home", so go the maximum £6904 loan. After a week, I moved out of home into more local accommodation, so rang SFE to change my circumstances, to entitle me to max loan of £8200. How long does it take SFE to make these changes? The man I spoke to on phone said I would be due a back-payment for the difference, but could do with knowing how long I should wait to chase them up. Any info appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madtrace)
    I applied for a maintenance loan with my circumstances as "Living at Home", so go the maximum £6904 loan. After a week, I moved out of home into more local accommodation, so rang SFE to change my circumstances, to entitle me to max loan of £8200. How long does it take SFE to make these changes? The man I spoke to on phone said I would be due a back-payment for the difference, but could do with knowing how long I should wait to chase them up. Any info appreciated x
    I'm assuming you sent a change of circumstance form? Correct?

It takes 14 working days from receipt to process this and yes you would receive a backdated payment.

Did he not tell you that this form was received ? or have you not sent it in yet ?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    I'm assuming you sent a change of circumstance form? Correct?

It takes 14 working days from receipt to process this and yes you would receive a backdated payment.

Did he not tell you that this form was received ? or have you not sent it in yet ?*
    When I phoned the man at SFE said he could do the change of circumstance over the telephone and made no mention of a form I guess from this SFE have given me,lets just say "a poor customer experience". I'll give it a couple more days and call again.

ReputationRep:
    When I phoned the man at SFE said he could do the change of circumstance over the telephone and made no mention of a form I guess from this SFE have given me,lets just say "a poor customer experience". I'll give it a couple more days and call again.
    if your changing your term time address to living in halls instead of with your parents to get more funding,then it can not be changed over the phone, perhaps you didn't communicate well enough ? If you said you wanted to change your term time address and he took an address from you then yes that can be changed over the phone but that's something different.

The only way to change it is either online (if it lets you) or the change of circumstance form

The form is currently taking 13 working days now, not 14 *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    if your changing your term time address to living in halls instead of with your parents to get more funding,then it can not be changed over the phone, perhaps you didn't communicate well enough ? If you said you wanted to change your term time address and he took an address from you then yes that can be changed over the phone but that's something different.

The only way to change it is either online (if it lets you) or the change of circumstance form

The form is currently taking 13 working days now, not 14 *
    Many thanks, it was all very clear, he was under no misapprehension of what I wanted. But thinking about it I don't even think he took a change of address, and there was no mention of a form being required. I've got his name and date/time of phone call so it should be on record, but 20 calendar days later no change to my Student Loan account; I guess I'd better call again.

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks, it was all very clear, he was under no misapprehension of what I wanted. But thinking about it I don't even think he took a change of address, and there was no mention of a form being required. I've got his name and date/time of phone call so it should be on record, but 20 calendar days later no change to my Student Loan account; I guess I'd better call again.
    He can't change it over the phone

It (changing where your living during term time from living with parents to elsewhere) can only be changed via your online account or via a Coc form that's 100% definite.

The only thing that can be changed over the phone (in regards to where your living)is your term time address which is also known as your contact address and changing that doesn't affect your funding. *

*I'm an expert at student finance I know what I'm talking about

ReputationRep:
    Shame the guy at SFE wasn't such an expert as you....

ReputationRep:
    Shame the guy at SFE wasn't such an expert as you....
    You were probably put through to a 3rd party call center that's why

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.