Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't use internet as flatmates moved router because they had weak signal Watch

Announcements

Basically we just had internet installed last week as landlord waited till we all moved in to agree provider (since it comes off the allowance for bills)

The main socket is in living room but in that position the tenants at front of house get weak to no signal on the router and I was getting a strong one as my room is above the living room (at back of building)

They decided to move the router to the hallway which means now I get nothing and justification is that they now get a good signal and theres 2 of them (3 if you count person in middle room who had a usable but weak signal before) against 1 of me.

I can pick up a signal on laptop if im lucky but its old and my desktop picks up nothing and thats the main pc as use it for everything.

Not sure how to deal with it especially as one flatmate is quite bullying (the I know best type)

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is going to be awkward.

The only solution is going to be a wifi repeater and how you share the cost will be the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    unless you are living in a mansion, sounds like a better router is in order.

it shouldnnt matter how many nowhave good signals, the fact is you don't and they know how that was before. Tell them you have no connection now and suggest a new router is requested. Or get an ethernet cable.

I own a small wifi repeater but its at my parents right now, and that was my original discussion with them but they seemed only bothered with right now.

Forgot to mention that the position it is in now means cable over the floor right next to front door so easy to trip over another reason I mentioned to flatmates to keep it in living room as the socket is out of the way and then get a repeater.

ReputationRep:
    You're all adults.

Talk to each other and sort it out like the adults you now are, not the children you once were.

(Original post by Drewski)
    You're all adults.

Talk to each other and sort it out like the adults you now are, not the children you once were.
    Im autistic, didn't mention that at first to not sway thoughts but will say
    now only to explain that things are not always a simple answer.

Even if I didn't have it then one person is basically taking control of everything, other flatmates don't like this other flatmate that much either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid routine disagreements like this over relatively petty matters are inevitable when you share a flat. You need to all discuss this sensibly and reach a solution that you can all live with.

ReputationRep:
    In the original position, you could both access the internet.. Now one of you can't.

That's all there should be to it, disregarding signal strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im autistic, didn't mention that at first to not sway thoughts but will say
    now only to explain that things are not always a simple answer.

Even if I didn't have it then one person is basically taking control of everything, other flatmates don't like this other flatmate that much either.
    great, if he isn't so popular then I am sure if you bring it up they will stick up for you once they know you have no signal at all.

Your options are:

cable over the floor and taped down

new router

wifi booster

talk to housemates and see if there is a more compromising position for it

say/do nothing

ReputationRep:
    is there sometimes you can buy which will fix it? it sounds like it (I don't know enough about these things...)

if so, just suck it up and buy it, try and get the money back off other flatmates ('I solved the router problem by getting X, we all owe £Y') but often the best solution is the one that causes least arguments... if you try and battle for the one router no one is going to agree because all three of you understandably want proper wifi access (they probably can't stream films etc with a weak signal) and that can easily progress to people moving/hiding the router which gets no one anywhere

I agree that you're in the right here, if there is going to be one small space that has internet access it should be the communal space i.e. living room, the fact you also get access is just luck - but gettng them to agree you're in the right is going to be fighting a losing battle

(Original post by doodle_333)
    is there sometimes you can buy which will fix it? it sounds like it (I don't know enough about these things...)

if so, just suck it up and buy it, try and get the money back off other flatmates ('I solved the router problem by getting X, we all owe £Y') but often the best solution is the one that causes least arguments... if you try and battle for the one router no one is going to agree because all three of you understandably want proper wifi access (they probably can't stream films etc with a weak signal) and that can easily progress to people moving/hiding the router which gets no one anywhere

I agree that you're in the right here, if there is going to be one small space that has internet access it should be the communal space i.e. living room, the fact you also get access is just luck - but gettng them to agree you're in the right is going to be fighting a losing battle
    A range extender would work in theory but it depends on if the signal in living room is strong enough to reach it in first place in order to boost it as thats reliant on plug sockets.

Since the nearest plug socket to the booster is next to the room/s that can't get a good enough signal at present it would likely be it can't pick up a signal from the router to boost.

Only other option would be to place the booster upstairs on the stairway so in the middle of both sets of rooms that would help me too as would be a few feet from my bedroom.

Also powerlines into a extender would work too but about £20 for a cheap set and £50 for a good set.

ReputationRep:
    Also powerlines into a extender would work too but about £20 for a cheap set and £50 for a good set.
    tbh just go for whichever solution you think is most likely to work

another option is contacting your landlord and saying he isn't providing an adequate internet service and seeing if you can get anything improved - but this will mean longer time without proper internet as you argue with him

ReputationRep:
    Or of course you could refuse to pay your share for it unless it's moved/sorted out so you have full use of it. That would probably do more!

(Original post by Reality Check)
    Or of course you could refuse to pay your share for it unless it's moved/sorted out so you have full use of it. That would probably do more!
    We don't directly pay, there is £150 set aside by landlord per month for all bills so the internet counts as that.

ReputationRep:
    We don't directly pay, there is £150 set aside by landlord per month for all bills so the internet counts as that.
    That's a shame, then. Looks like you're all going to have to come to a compromise, then. Either that or get a repeater, as already suggested.

ReputationRep:
    A power line adapter, more powerful router or a wifi repeater would all work; the power line adapter would be my first choice on a budget unless you're in a large, old building.

The alternative to all of those is even cheaper but does create a bit of a trip hazard:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/50m-White-N...=50m+LAN+cable

You can easily buy stupidly long LAN cables for under a tenner.

(Original post by Tempest II)
    A power line adapter, more powerful router or a wifi repeater would all work; the power line adapter would be my first choice on a budget unless you're in a large, old building.

The alternative to all of those is even cheaper but does create a bit of a trip hazard:

You can easily buy stupidly long LAN cables for under a tenner.
    Im doing Computer Science at uni lol I know basics but thanks for mentioning, I had my own ethernet setup in my old flat running cables under carpet to swtich in hall then into bedroom (needed to as had 200 meg cable and wifi didn't have any signal in bedroom as old building)

My thinking was powerline with built in wifi that way I wouldn't have to worry about the signal reaching hallway as theres only 1 socket in there and thats in position where theres no internet signal if router is in living room.

But the problem would be getting flatmates to agree with it as in their mind it works and I am only one who has a weak signal now rather than 2 people before.

ReputationRep:
    Majority rules, I'm afraid. Just deal with it and accept that you can't get your own way 100% of the time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.