Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's, A levels, and Degree are undervalued by the public, business leaders and employers, Is it worth spending all those years in education, in return for a crap job, the job market nowadays is so competitve that in many aspects, a degree means nothing. Hope you all understood where I'm coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    GCSE's, A levels, and Degree are undervalued by the public, business leaders and employers, Is it worth spending all those years in education, in return for a crap job, the job market nowadays is so competitve that in many aspects, a degree means nothing. Hope you all understood where I'm coming from.
    If the job market is so very competitive then the more qualifications you have the better. Who would you rather hire after looking at a CV, someone who has a degree or someone who left school with OK GCSEs.

BTW totally off topic, but will you not find AS Maths hard if you only got a D at GCSE level.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what you see a degree as. If you just see it as a ticket to a top job then maybe you can find another route. Although most employers now look for a degree.
    If you value the education though, it's a good idea.
    Qualifications below degree level though, I'd say are pretty vital.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've got a somewhat skewed view of the value of education.

Fact is that at present if you want a good job a degree is a requirement, simply because it demonstrates that you have good transferable skills which will be appreciated by any employer. As you said the job market is very competitive, so surely having a degree makes you more employable than everyone without a degree?

I suppose it really depends what you want from life, but seriously I think that you should at least get through your A levels before deciding that education is useless, because at least then in the future, even if you don't go to university in the next few years, the door will still be open to you.

ReputationRep:
    What answers did you actually expect coming into the A level forum on a site frequented by highly ambitious and educated people......

You'll only get a crap job if you have crap/no qualifications. Even if you graduate and are in a low paying job, because of that degree you have, you'll be promoted faster ahead of those who fell into the job straight after A levels....e.g. Accountancy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul1989)
    If the job market is so very competitive then the more qualifications you have the better. Who would you rather hire after looking at a CV, someone who has a degree or someone who left school with OK GCSEs.

BTW totally off topic, but will you not find AS Maths hard if you only got a D at GCSE level.

Exactly but what i'm wondering is, how is his 6th form/college allowing him to take Maths-i swear they specify its best to have a B or above, and anyways don't most 6th forms specify that you retake Maths GCSE to pull it up to a C, for the sake of university applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    Exactly but what i'm wondering is, how is his 6th form/college allowing him to take Maths-i swear they specify its best to have a B or above, and anyways don't most 6th forms specify that you retake Maths GCSE to pull it up to a C, for the sake of university applications.
    Aren't they his predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    they are his predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    Aren't they his predicted grades?

Yeah true...he could still get a B-GCSE papers are tiered..so he may be doing the intermediate paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    Evidently a quote from someone with a somewhat undervalued view of a decent education! Clearly, as people have already pointed out, that it all depends on the degree you read; you obviously can't be an engineer without studying engineering, or become a Doctor without having read Medicine, etc. Perhaps if you feel this way about education, then you should evade further academics; it seems, given your predicted GCSE's, that you aren't fond of it anyway....

ReputationRep:
    stop being sooooo snobby ! i didnt get great GCSE's at all all but i dramatically turned it around and improved in my AS levels and have good predicted A level grades.

ReputationRep:
    No there is no point what-so-ever in A-levels or a degree, I've just got nothing better to do with my time. =P

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.