Can they force me to re-sit GCSE maths at 18?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Ok long story short everyone, I'm 18 and early into year 13. I failed GCSE maths severely - I got something like a G. I've never been good at maths. Neve have, never will. Trust me, I've had tutors, personal sessions with teachers, etc. None of it has helped. And I am so ****ing sick of it, to be blunt. I've got the next resit exams in half term, the 2nd and 4th of November, my fifth time. Highest grade I've gotten is an F.
    It goes beyond me being unable to do it... Consequently, I despise it. It's wrecks any of my already shaky confidence and makes me feel so stupid, like such a tool, etc. And I do want to stress, I'm not really that dim. I was in the top sets for the likes of English, RS at GCSE - but always the lowest of the low in maths.
    More recently I attained an A in my AS level drama and am working at distinction level in level 3 media and a merit in level 3 forensics. I have to remind myself why I shouldn't leave at this stage due to those decent results but it's damn tempting with this thing... I'd like to stress btw I've got no interest nor intention to go to Uni
    So it is..maths it's like my cryptonite...
    Point being, I read up that when the government made this change, it says that it applies to 16-18 Y/Os. So my basic question is - does that apply to 18 year olds in sixth form or is it a generalisation as 18 is the general leaving age?? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LG0510)
    Ok long story short everyone, I'm 18 and early into year 13. I failed GCSE maths severely - I got something like a G. I've never been good at maths. Neve have, never will. Trust me, I've had tutors, personal sessions with teachers, etc. None of it has helped. And I am so ****ing sick of it, to be blunt. I've got the next resit exams in half term, the 2nd and 4th of November, my fifth time. Highest grade I've gotten is an F.
    It goes beyond me being unable to do it... Consequently, I despise it. It's wrecks any of my already shaky confidence and makes me feel so stupid, like such a tool, etc. And I do want to stress, I'm not really that dim. I was in the top sets for the likes of English, RS at GCSE - but always the lowest of the low in maths.
    More recently I attained an A in my AS level drama and am working at distinction level in level 3 media and a merit in level 3 forensics. I have to remind myself why I shouldn't leave at this stage due to those decent results but it's damn tempting with this thing...
    Point being, I read up that when the government made this change, it says that it applies to 16-18 Y/Os. So my basic question is - does that apply to 18 year olds in sixth form or is it a generalisation as 18 is the general leaving age?? Thanks.
    Basically once your 18 you can do what you want. You don't have to. But your going to need C at maths GCSE if you want to go anywhere lol i think

ReputationRep:
    well you can opt not to attend college anyway, I don't think the rules are well enforced

however regardless of your age your college can have their own policies and most colleges/6th forms will require students to either have a C in maths or take maths GCSE resits

and as the poster above me said, GCSE maths will be required for so many jobs and courses during your life, you're really going to be held back if you don't manage to get it... I find it very odd that you are clearly intelligent if you can get an A on other courses but repeatedly fail maths, have you been tested for specific learning disabilities relating to maths? if there is nothing I would really fall on the side that this is a mental block, the vast majority of people can pass GCSE maths if they put their mind to it

ReputationRep:
    it depends if your're in college or not, when I resat maths gcse at sixth form there was a girl in the group who needed to resit it again because at the time when they did it, a D grade was an acceptable pass (like a C), but now employers and unis want a C grade she had to resit because of the course requirements, have you looked into equivalents of qualifications like functional skills maths? even that would show employers you've tried to improve your maths skills, (also maybe oogle dyscalculia too?
    good luck with your exam

ReputationRep:
    More recently I attained an A in my AS level drama and am working at distinction level in level 3 media and a merit in level 3 forensics. I have to remind myself why I shouldn't leave at this stage due to those decent results but it's damn tempting with this thing... I'd like to stress btw I've got no interest nor intention to go to Uni
    If you are in government funded education yes they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your in sixth form then I'm pretty sure they can make you re-sit it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.