Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the individual as stated before. I started to grow mature from when I was about 9 or 10 but then that came from living with older sisters.

ReputationRep:
    I've been quite responible throughout my teen years, so I'm going to really go for it in my 20's and I don't intend to be like a 'proper' adult till I'm 30!
    I'm 19 at the moment and intend of having many learning experiences and I don't want to be known as the too responsible one now! (But I can't help being responisble so lets see how far I get!)

hat doesn't mean to say i wont live independently and do well!
    I guess theres so many ways 'maturity' and 'adult' can be interpreted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimson Black)
    I find maturity - inasmuch as I've reached - to be a steady hardening of opinions and tastes. When you were young you have plenty of things thrown at you, different experiences, and probably changed musical taste/clothing style/whatever at least a few times. Maturity is when you find what you actually like and start sticking with it; because you like it, and not because it's a fad. Also, it's when you become emotionally hardened (as a teenager, you were very emotional, whereas as a mature adult you can deal with stress/anger/grief a lot better). It's when you become more tolerant of other people, you realise that you can no longer judge them on what they wear or what they look like, and become more open-minded; you can see where they're coming from in an argument and don't blindly follow what you believe (ie. can take advice and criticism and work with it).

Interesting question, though.
    well said !! seconded !! id give you a thumbs up but i cant find the damn smiley !!

i feel that i matured when i had to resit my alevels, i just became more mature and waaay more focussed....until the gf monster struck :P

I started acting more maturely within a couple of months of starting sixth form. Just over 17 at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sundous)
    When you start having responsabilities, you have to start acting like an adult.
    People acquire responsibilities though, they don't just fall on you. It's "maturity" that makes you realise that you want your own house, for example, then leading to a mortgage, a job, a career etc.

For me, there was no real event that sparked it, I just didn't want to live like I did in first year any more. I stopped wanting to go out clubbing five nights a week, I realised I was happier spending my evenings quietly, eating properly and so forth. Hell, I'm more likely to be throwing dinner parties nowadays than those old teenage house parties where half the people present ended up vomiting in the garden.

One of the main things I realised though was when I returned home from uni. There are a couple of my friends that never left, went to uni near by, and sometimes their rather childish qualities really get on my nerves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    Guys take a lot longer to mature than girls, that is for sure.
    I find entirely the opposite. Finding a remotely emotionally mature girl of the same age as me (20, nearing 21, for the record) is like trying to uncover a needle in a haystack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    It's researched fact, that guys on the whole mature later than females...but there are obviously exceptions.
    Oh yes, because science has uncovered an undisputed bar of maturity...

ReputationRep:
    When you turn 21 you get your grown up license after being on a provisional from 18.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.