Maths A level help!!!

Watch this thread
tc32
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How do you solve this question and explanation please!! my exam is in a few days time
Attached files
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
How do you solve this question and explanation please!! my exam is in a few days time
For the first part use some type of interval bisection method.

For the second one, rearrange for x^3, then divide by x before square rooting both sides in order to arrive at the needed form, then explain how it converges onto the root.
tc32
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
For the first part use some type of interval bisection method.

For the second one, rearrange for x^3, then divide by x before square rooting both sides in order to arrive at the needed form, then explain how it converges onto the root.
I'm more interested in the first part. How do you get 2 and 3?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
I'm more interested in the first part. How do you get 2 and 3?
Pick an arbitrary interval, test the two ends, and cut it down using your intuition until you get the equation to change sign between two integers.
tc32
Rep:
Pick an arbitrary interval, test the two ends, and cut it down using your intuition until you get the equation to change sign between two integers.
thanks very much. I've got a couple of other questions to ask if you don't mind it's just that i'm writing pure maths on monday and i'm revisiting all the problem questions i've encountered from past papers and you seem to be the only one giving valuable responses.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
thanks very much. I've got a couple of other questions to ask if you don't mind it's just that i'm writing pure maths on monday and i'm revisiting all the problem questions i've encountered from past papers and you seem to be the only one giving valuable responses.
Go ahead and ask
tc32
Rep:
Go ahead and ask
this one? i'm more interested in the second part
Attached files
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
this one?
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{dx} and \frac{dt}{dx}=(\frac{dx}{dt})^{-1}

and I'm sure you can do the differentials, they're simple chain rules.

For the last one it's a simple case of substituting for y-b=m(x-a) where a,b are respective points with parameter t, and m is the gradient with the same parameter.
tc32
Rep:
[QUOTE=RDKGames;67987740]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{dx} and \frac{dt}{dx}=(\frac{dx}{dt})^{-1}

and I'm sure you can do the differentials, they're simple chain rules.

For the last one it's a simple case of substituting for y-b=m(x-a) where a,b are respective points with parameter t, and m is the gradient with the same parameter.[/QUO

the problem is finding a and b
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
the problem is finding a and b
Not really much of a problem. What do you think a and b are when it says "with parameter t" ?
tc32
Rep:
Not really much of a problem. What do you think a and b are when it says "with parameter t" ?
1/cos^3t and tan^3t ?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
1/cos^3t and tan^3t ?
Yep.
tc32
Rep:
Yep.
i'm failing to rearrange them to get the final equation
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
i'm failing to rearrange them to get the final equation
Show your attempt. Could be the part where you need to factor out a negative tan(t) and you do not switch both signs inside the bracket.
tc32
Rep:
Show your attempt. Could be the part where you need to factor out a negative tan(t) and you do not switch both signs inside the bracket.
don't worry i've got it. i had to factor out tant and use some trigonometry identities so that the cos^2t cancels out. thanks a lot for the help.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tc32)
don't worry i've got it. i had to factor out tant and use some trigonometry identities so that the cos^2t cancels out. thanks a lot for the help.
Ah good, no problem.
tc32
Rep:
Ah good, no problem.
i've got another question. I seem to be getting 2 + 2x instead of 4 + 4x.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (34)
15.04%
The paper was reasonable (116)
51.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (55)
24.34%
It was TERRIBLE (21)
9.29%

Watched Threads