Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToysRUs)
    Classic case of male possessiveness - where we are threatened because someone outside their "group" has taken a worthwhile partner away from them.

Think about it in packs, there's a group consisting of guys and girls, the group dynamic insists that eventually each will pair off with another in the group - cue affairs and such with your best pal. But it's still a group.

Then say, good looking foreigner comes in. Takes the girl. Guys are obviously annoyed, get hostile and all primitive.

Basically what I'm saying is all guys dislike others dating a lass who they think is "above" them, because of jealousy and because it's one less fitty off the market. It's all competition out there, and we only have laws and unwritten societal rules to hold it together.

EDIT: Obviously girls compete too, but IN GENERAL they tend to keep off other women's "territory", so to speak. Whilst men are more irrational to get the girl, hence Mr Alpha Male beating up Mr Beta Male for eyeing up his girlfriend at the bar.

wow you must be a loser or something? hahah.....

i am an "asian", and have never gone out with an "asian" girl. I have, however, gone out with many "non-asian" girls ("your definitions"). Does this mean anything? no! race should not matter unless you're a loser who can't look beyond what is skin-deep... who cares if you're ugly! you must have no self-confidence or be extremely awkward/shy; maybe that is why all the chicks avoid you..

and that non-sense that was mentioned about family values (asians must marry asians) is also phooey; I know many asian families who don't care who their children marry (race DOES NOT MATTER), as long as the children are happy. Their family values must be extremely traditional/conservative if they demand that their asian child marry another asian.

my 2cents, <3

L.P

ReputationRep:
    No, just male.

Bury your head in the sand regarding those around you and you'll be caught out sooner or later.

(Original post by ~Linh~)

i who cares if you're ugly!

L.P

Suprisingly, most of the women out there.

ReputationRep:
    My ex was "white" and i gotta a loada grief from my mum about it saying that ill get distracted and its not part of our culture. And i dread to imagine what my dads reaction would have been. But i was with her throughout my alevel revision and exams...and i did well . At the time my gf didnt mind and at one point said she liked my skin color. So we never had any problems about skin colour beyond parents. imo its not even a different skin colour. Its the difference in culture and whats acceptable. Im not too sure but are there strict rules in christianity having gf/bf?

Anyhoo, i guess between parents and gf, parents win. and if your parents are inflexible about white girls then theres nothing much you can do!

I'm Asian and I am engaged to an English girl..

ReputationRep:
    Depends really. When I was a lot younger I dated a guy for just a month or two and his mum had a huge problem with him dating a non asian girl. She even threatened me over the phone a few times. This isn't to say all inter racial relationships will end up like this- though it's certainly scared me enough to make me think twice. Think she was just a bit..coo coo. My malaysian friend is going out with an english guy and its all good. jsut depends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiscoPirate)
    :rofl:

Serious Cat FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    In my experience, most Asian families place a high value on their sons or daughters marrying other people of the same race as them; couple this with the divides in many big cities between Asians and whites, you have an answer.
    That is very true.

ReputationRep:
    It's so totally living in the past to have that attitude too.

Can you imagine if a white man told his daughter to stay away from blacks, or chinese, or indians? He'd be branded a racist, and rightly so. Yet I've seen it plenty amongst some groups who declare it to be a heritage issue.

For as long as we all think like we're different tribes, we just make it worse.
    I suspect that attitude will get left behind, and thank God for that eh.

As for the original topic : Now you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen an asian man with a non-asian woman. How bizarre! I would have to assume it's some product of culture, like maybe there's pressure on asian men to be more hard-working and serious (and perhaps introverted)? I find it difficult to believe there's any race on Earth with more ugly people in it than any other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vasavdatta)
    That is very true.
    Yeaaaahhhhh

But you can normally tell which ones are liberal and which ones are not. For example, the more liberal ones would hang around with a variation of friends, and basically live the western way of life. (clubbing, bars etc)

If the asian dude is away from home, thats another bonus. Means he is independant and not under his parents thumb.

The ones that you describe are likely to be the ones that mingle in their own group.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.