Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Oxford History Aptitude Test 2016

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    A thread (like in past years) for the HAT.

To start off: the HAT's instructions for Question 2 say 'Write an essay of between 1.5 and 3 sides on ...'
    It seems that we shall get special exam booklets,
    so how large is a side? how many lines? (the mark schemes suggest that normal handwriting is 10 words per line)

Can anyone who's done the HAT answer this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passé-présent)
    A thread (like in past years) for the HAT.

To start off: the HAT's instructions for Question 2 say 'Write an essay of between 1.5 and 3 sides on ...'
    It seems that we shall get special exam booklets,
    so how large is a side? how many lines? (the mark schemes suggest that normal handwriting is 10 words per line)

Can anyone who's done the HAT answer this?
    I did it last year and did really well actually, I assumed that one side is one side of A4, hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all and in particular those who have sat the HAT last year or before and been successful! Could you give any general advise for the exam; I suppose it is quality over quantity? for instance what is an effective way of structuring the essay question or are they looking for something else ? What is a good fashion by which to analyse the source critically ? I really would appreciate any help very much. thanks very much all!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm also doing the HAT test this year and I was wondering how we should structure question 3. Are you guys going to write a proper essay with introduction and conclusion or just some paragraphs with different factors that link to the question?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing the HAT too. I'm just guessing, but for question 3 I wouldn't do an introduction but just go straight into writing the different insights the source reveals. But I would do a conclusion just to summarise the points made in the essay. I think an introduction and conclusion would definitely be needed for question 2 though.

ReputationRep:
    Im sitting the HAT too.... I always need extra paper in exams as i write more than double the normal amount - i have huge handwriting - so is this booklet thing going to be an issue, i always panic over whether extra paper is given! Also the 1-3 Sides for question 2 - is that just a guideline? the teacher who's been marking mine doesn't think it's an issue but i'm still nervous! How is everyone finding it so far? I'm not too hopeful to be honest, last year's essay question was my favorite so I' worried

ReputationRep:
    From past mark schemes, less than 1.5 pages is penalised, but more than 3 isn't, though I find that good responses to question 2 don't need to take up 3 pages or more. There's nothing on introductions or conclusions in mark schemes for question 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren1498x)
    Im sitting the HAT too.... I always need extra paper in exams as i write more than double the normal amount - i have huge handwriting - so is this booklet thing going to be an issue, i always panic over whether extra paper is given! Also the 1-3 Sides for question 2 - is that just a guideline? the teacher who's been marking mine doesn't think it's an issue but i'm still nervous! How is everyone finding it so far? I'm not too hopeful to be honest, last year's essay question was my favorite so I' worried
    From my understanding, they want 'cogent' answers - I think the point is to not babble on and waffle so I would just try to avoid any extra unnecessary points. I know that they don't want you to write too much; if you look at the mark schemes, the discrepancy between the highest level and the middle level features comments about sticking to the required length! Don't worry though

ReputationRep:
    I'm very concerned; I have meticulously prepared for the HAT using mark schemes and past papers, but none of my answers have been marked by teachers. I don't find essays difficult and I usually get full marks in my History essays, but it seems like everyone else has had their teachers mark their work!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Would you guys include quotations from the source for question 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riazais)
    I'm very concerned; I have meticulously prepared for the HAT using mark schemes and past papers, but none of my answers have been marked by teachers. I don't find essays difficult and I usually get full marks in my History essays, but it seems like everyone else has had their teachers mark their work!!!!!
    Hey! I've been doing the same thing. I would say if you are hard on yourself, then it's fine. Plus, you know the mark scheme super well and know exactly what to write and look for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Gee)
    Would you guys include quotations from the source for question 3?
    I'm not an expert, but I would say say some. In some mark schemes, they want to see evidence from text.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riazais)
    From my understanding, they want 'cogent' answers - I think the point is to not babble on and waffle so I would just try to avoid any extra unnecessary points. I know that they don't want you to write too much; if you look at the mark schemes, the discrepancy between the highest level and the middle level features comments about sticking to the required length! Don't worry though
    Yeah I'm not really talking about babbling on more that my handwriting is enormous and more like 3 words on a line, not their average of 10

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys how are you structuring your essays.

ReputationRep:
    which ones? For question 3 I'm going to do about four paragraphs with different points about the source and a conclusion. I'm not doing question 2 as I'm a History and Economics applicant. So I can't comment on that but I would have structured it like a normal school essay.
    BTW Good Luck for everyone taking the test tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips for question 1b? I tend to find it difficult to put some things into my own words, do we get penalized for using some of the same vocabulary as in the source?
    I was also wondering how long your sentences are for 1a, I tend to write 3-4 lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Gee)
    Does anyone have any tips for question 1b? I tend to find it difficult to put some things into my own words, do we get penalized for using some of the same vocabulary as in the source?
    I was also wondering how long your sentences are for 1a, I tend to write 3-4 lines.
    I write pretty much the same for 1a but I try to get it down as much as I can - it usually depends on how many main points are there etc. 1b I'm also unsure of - I just think of it as half way between question 1a and 3... Not much help but good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes the mark scheme says reference the text for question 1b. So far I haven't used quotations for that question but now I'm unsure. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Question 2 on last year's paper didn't have the between 1.5 - 3 sides requirement, so I'm assuming that this year's won't. Anyone else actually looking forward to the HAT? I'm weirdly excited about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhisokay)
    Question 2 on last year's paper didn't have the between 1.5 - 3 sides requirement, so I'm assuming that this year's won't. Anyone else actually looking forward to the HAT? I'm weirdly excited about it.
    I know- I'm a mix of nerves and excitement

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.