The Student Room Group

How often do you change your footwear?

I've had my trainers for about a year (I wear them on a daily basis-casually) and they're wearing out so I am going to replace them. What I want to know is often do people replace their footwear, whether it be shoes/trainers/running trainers etc...?
When they start to show signs of wear. That's usually around 6 months or. But it does depend how much runing I'm doing.
Reply 2
When they fall apart I guess. Some pairs have lasted me years. I do have a few pairs so they get rotated, but good trainers should last quite a long time. I even have a pair of £3 Primark trainers that are only starting to wear out a bit now after 10 months.
Reply 3
When they start to fall apart, usually the inside of heels collapses down into too thin to be comfortable. I walk everywhere so 3 months is about my average for trainers. I once estimated it at about 150miles per pair. *

I switch to hiking boots around this time of year once it gets wet. They varry much more and it seems to not even relate to price or how well reviewed they are. But usually I get a few years out of them*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I'll probably wear my current ones for a few weeks before replacing them, they're still fit for purpose so why not lol. So few months to a year seems the norm. I walk quite a lot as well but do take care of my trainers. :u:
I have like 5 trainers.
I get new ones when they look messed up... :biggrin:
I have 4 pairs of trainers, and other shoes but I change them when they start to look messed up 👌🏼
Manufacturer's recommendation for running shoes is often to replace after 500 miles.

Bearing in mind I average 50+ miles a week a year, that would mean every ten weeks for me and I'm far too tight to be doing that.

I tend to replace shoes after the cushioning starts to go, which is about after 9 months.

Depends how injury prone you are. But I reckon if you are running <25 mi a week you can go well over a year.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have quite a heavy footfall so for running trainers I'd say I usually do 300-400 miles before replacing them, not an exact figure as I find my shins start aching after runs when they're wearing out and that's when they get replaced

for normal shoes I replace them whenever they're too worn out to use anymore, that really depends on the shoe... I've got boots which I keep replacing the heel on which have lasted years and some cheaper/casual shoes which only last a few months before the sole is worn through
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
I have quite a heavy footfall so for running trainers I'd say I usually do 300-400 miles before replacing them, not an exact figure as I find my shins start aching after runs when they're wearing out and that's when they get replaced

for normal shoes I replace them whenever they're too worn out to use anymore, that really depends on the shoe... I've got boots which I keep replacing the heel on which have lasted years and some cheaper/casual shoes which only last a few months before the sole is worn through

Original post by rockrunride
Manufacturer's recommendation for running shoes is often to replace after 500 miles.

Bearing in mind I average 50+ miles a week a year, that would mean every ten weeks for me and I'm far too tight to be doing that.

I tend to replace shoes after the cushioning starts to go, which is about after 9 months.

Depends how injury prone you are. But I reckon if you are running <25 mi a week you can go well over a year.

Lol how am I meant to know how many miles I've done, I understand from running/treadmill but have no idea how many miles I've done with my everyday trainers. :tongue:
Original post by SunTiger
Lol how am I meant to know how many miles I've done, I understand from running/treadmill but have no idea how many miles I've done with my everyday trainers. :tongue:

Well yes for everyday trainers I just replace mine when the wear becomes unsightly or renders the shoe unfit for purpose.
Original post by SunTiger

use an app/online site to monitor your training/miles

I have strava and each run I upload the miles and which shoes I wore and it keeps track of how many miles I have uploaded using these shoes

there are many other sites where you can just record your mileage and if you keep a record of the date you bought your shoes (some people recommend writing it on the shoe) you can keep count... or if you know you average 20 miles a week you know your shoes will last approximately 5-6 months
It took about 3-4 months to change my footwear.
When they need it. I hate parting with my shoes so I wear them until the point of no return.*
I replace my footwear mostly after 3 months because that is enough to use them.
It depends on your workout.

Quick Reply

Latest