UCAS reference [PPE]

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm applying for PPE this week and I was recently asked by my teacher as to what should she include in my reference. She's my IB tutor and has never written a UCAS reference as our school's IB program is relatively young (I'm the 4th generation) and not so many people applied to British unis. Is there anything specific that I should recommend her to mention?

Thanks!

PS. I know about guide on UCAS and I forwarded that to her, along with some UCAS presentation done by Lancaster, but it is not specific enough.

ReputationRep:
    If you do any of PPE subjects - i.e. Politics, Economics or Philosophy, ask her to describe how brilliant of a student you are in that subject, how you always take one step further in the classroom, how passionate you are - but don't use word passionate, apparently it's a buzzword for admission tutors - and so on, so admissions will see that you are very interested in the subjects to start with.
    Secondly, ask her to describe how you are good at independent studying, finding resources yourself and so on. Apart from that, I think that writing that you are a student of the highest calibre is kind of implied.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on time, organised, motivated? Is there a piece of work (essay, assignment, coursework) that you completed really well? Did you score really well in any test or exam - the grade could be included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whasupman)
    If you do any of PPE subjects - i.e. Politics, Economics or Philosophy, ask her to describe how brilliant of a student you are in that subject, how you always take one step further in the classroom, how passionate you are - but don't use word passionate, apparently it's a buzzword for admission tutors - and so on, so admissions will see that you are very interested in the subjects to start with.
    Secondly, ask her to describe how you are good at independent studying, finding resources yourself and so on. Apart from that, I think that writing that you are a student of the highest calibre is kind of implied.
    (Original post by Juno)
    Are you on time, organised, motivated? Is there a piece of work (essay, assignment, coursework) that you completed really well? Did you score really well in any test or exam - the grade could be included.
    Thanks to both of you, you're recommendations might've appeared obvious but they were indeed very helpful as I needed to have them stated explicitly. I've added them to the guide I sent to my teacher, thanks :-)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.