Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CPS or GLS Mature candidate Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of any mature students who have successfully gained a TC with either the CPS or the GLS? When I say mature I mean 35+. Age discrimination is unlawful etc etc, but it's also easy to do - so I'm looking for concrete cases where people in this age bracket have succeeded. I am not interested in being a corporate stooge and really would only like to apply for these types of TC - more specifically the CPS.

About me: finished school in 1998, didn't do very well (various reasons). Studied a marketing diploma, worked in a wine shop, got a job as a hotel officer onboard a cruise ship, returned home (Cape Town) to get married, worked in management positions in hotels, switched to marketing (account management) for a brief stint before I decided to go to university.

I have done well at university, bachelors degree (social science) in law and politics at the University of Cape Town. Best university in Africa and is comparable (in rankings) to some RG universities. I have been on the Deans List for the past two years and am set to graduate at the end of the year with a 70% GPA. This is equivalent to a 2:1 (a 1st is 75% here).

I was going to continue on with my LLB (a further two years) and then finally relocate to the UK (I am a citizen) after sitting the QLTS. However, as I don't really see myself practicing law in SA, and due to the current political unrest, it seems worthwhile to do the GDL and LPC - enabling me to qualify quicker and at a comparable cost.

So that's me. Over the next 12 months I'll be getting experience working for a law clinic pro bono.

The reason I'm looking for concrete examples is because it's a fairly stressful thing to move country with a wife, child, 2 dogs and a cat. Knowing that there have been mature students before me applying successfully to these particular outfits will make me feel like I have a fighting chance and will relieve said stress.

If it doesn't work out then I'll be a house husband with a particularly expensive qualification.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    In short yes. QLTS is for qualified lawyers so why the need for a TC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    In short yes. QLTS is for qualified lawyers so why the need for a TC?
    Thanks.

I was going to go the QLTS route if I qualified in SA. I won't be qualifying here - instead I will be starting the GDL next year followed by the LPC. That's why I need the TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRRGRE007)
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of any mature students who have successfully gained a TC with either the CPS or the GLS? When I say mature I mean 35+. Age discrimination is unlawful etc etc, but it's also easy to do - so I'm looking for concrete cases where people in this age bracket have succeeded. I am not interested in being a corporate stooge and really would only like to apply for these types of TC - more specifically the CPS.

About me: finished school in 1998, didn't do very well (various reasons). Studied a marketing diploma, worked in a wine shop, got a job as a hotel officer onboard a cruise ship, returned home (Cape Town) to get married, worked in management positions in hotels, switched to marketing (account management) for a brief stint before I decided to go to university.

I have done well at university, bachelors degree (social science) in law and politics at the University of Cape Town. Best university in Africa and is comparable (in rankings) to some RG universities. I have been on the Deans List for the past two years and am set to graduate at the end of the year with a 70% GPA. This is equivalent to a 2:1 (a 1st is 75% here).

I was going to continue on with my LLB (a further two years) and then finally relocate to the UK (I am a citizen) after sitting the QLTS. However, as I don't really see myself practicing law in SA, and due to the current political unrest, it seems worthwhile to do the GDL and LPC - enabling me to qualify quicker and at a comparable cost.

So that's me. Over the next 12 months I'll be getting experience working for a law clinic pro bono.

The reason I'm looking for concrete examples is because it's a fairly stressful thing to move country with a wife, child, 2 dogs and a cat. Knowing that there have been mature students before me applying successfully to these particular outfits will make me feel like I have a fighting chance and will relieve said stress.

If it doesn't work out then I'll be a house husband with a particularly expensive qualification.
    I'd like to be able to help you, but you rather fudge at your age as '35+'. This could be 36, or it could be 55. This sort of information does make a difference whether or not you'd realistically be offered anything. PM me if you're not comfortable sharing it here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was at a Law Society event for mature applicants in the legal profession where the GLS were actively encouraging the audience to apply. I doubt they would have been there if they didn't want to encourage mature applicants.

The only thing from my experience of recruiting for the civil service is if you have been outside of the UK for the last three years, there MIGHT be an issue with you clearing the security processes, even if you have commonwealth status/dual nationality and/or the right to work in the UK. Although that might be negated by the time lag where they are recruiting for 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I'd like to be able to help you, but you rather fudge at your age as '35+'. This could be 36, or it could be 55. This sort of information does make a difference whether or not you'd realistically be offered anything. PM me if you're not comfortable sharing it here.
    Sorry, I should have said earlier. I'm 35. Will be 38 when I'm ready to start a TC.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok.

Right, we need to be realistic about this. You and I both know that 38 is hardly dead, though some of the children on the TSR would probably disagree. However, it is the case that you will be significantly older than the vast majority of the cohort applying for a TC and this will be easy to deduce just from the dates you took your exams.

Though your age does not rule you out, it is an issue - law firms are good at warm words about diversity and inclusivity but just look at the makeup of the workforce - it tends to be fairly homogenous. I think the key is to turn a potential problem into an asset by being very clear about what your advanced years have to offer the legal profession and, specifically, the firm to which you are applying for your TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I was at a Law Society event for mature applicants in the legal profession where the GLS were actively encouraging the audience to apply. I doubt they would have been there if they didn't want to encourage mature applicants.

The only thing from my experience of recruiting for the civil service is if you have been outside of the UK for the last three years, there MIGHT be an issue with you clearing the security processes, even if you have commonwealth status/dual nationality and/or the right to work in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. Ya I had read that. Thought that as I'm only a British citizen (not dual) it might not be an issue. If it is I'll just have to work around it. By the time I qualify I would have been in the uk for 3 years.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRRGRE007)
    Thanks. Ya I had read that. Thought that as I'm only a British citizen (not dual) it might not be an issue. If it is I'll just have to work around it. By the time I qualify I would have been in the uk for 3 years.
    It won't matter for those jobs...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.