The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999google
I've been out of education since April 2015 following a cancer diagnosis and then chemotherapy. I never finished my a levels but was lucky enough to get a university place of my as results and predicted a level results.

However, now I'm here I've had freshers flu for almost three weeks, not slept well, had nightmares, woken up hot and sweaty most nights, I've almost lost a stone through lack of appetite and now I have an infected wisdom tooth and my jaw is swollen. I've been to the dentist at home and I'm on antibiotics now, but I've hardly left my room today and I've missed 5 hours of lectures just today.

I feel like I've messed this year up before it's even began. Also, I'm worried about my fees and accommodation ect. if I leave now I might not have to pay as much as I would if I stayed longer then decided to leave. I haven't spoken to anyone yet, but I would drop out without a second thought if I could definitely come back next year, but as I have no a levels and this is a deferred offer already I'm not sure if I will be able to???

First things first, it sounds like you should see your GP with flu for that long. Secondly, you're right that going back to uni might not be possible with just AS results, so you need to speak to your unis student support, if you think you'd be happy staying at that uni then they may let you take a break then start back next year.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
First things first, it sounds like you should see your GP with flu for that long. Secondly, you're right that going back to uni might not be possible with just AS results, so you need to speak to your unis student support, if you think you'd be happy staying at that uni then they may let you take a break then start back next year.

Yeah, I probably should have gone to the GP earlier, but the antibiotics I got from the dentist yesterday have worked really well today. I will book an appointment in with the student support tomorrow
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest