GCSE'S and Medicine

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.
    Medicine is such a popular courses nowadays and so many people want apply for a medicine place. I have wanted to study medicine for a long time. The advice we get is all garbled confused and unclear. I was looking for advice on whether GCSE'S are major contributing factors towards getting a place. For example will getting 8A* at GCSE suffice for getting a place into Oxford or Cambridge and for Russell group universities such as Southampton Cardiff and Brighton. In addition to this what other extra curricular activities will you need to be doing such as work experience dofe and playing musical instruments and playing sports as well as having a job.

Any advice will be grateful.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get anywhere without 13 A*s, 500 hours volunteering to help Syrian refugees, a football cap for the national team and a grade 8 in 13 instruments, including the ocarina.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    You won't get anywhere without 13 A*s, 500 hours volunteering to help Syrian refugees, a football cap for the national team and a grade 8 in 13 instruments, including the ocarina.
    Very Funny 😡😡😡

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narariro)
    Hello everyone.
    Medicine is such a popular courses nowadays and so many people want apply for a medicine place. I have wanted to study medicine for a long time. The advice we get is all garbled confused and unclear. I was looking for advice on whether GCSE'S are major contributing factors towards getting a place. For example will getting 8A* at GCSE suffice for getting a place into Oxford or Cambridge and for Russell group universities such as Southampton Cardiff and Brighton. In addition to this what other extra curricular activities will you need to be doing such as work experience dofe and playing musical instruments and playing sports as well as having a job.

Any advice will be grateful.

Thank you.
    Nope, not enough. The cut off is 9A* for Cardiff, for Oxford and Cambridge you would need more. A mate of mine got into Cambridge and all he had to do was develop a cure for Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    Nope, not enough. The cut off is 9A* for Cardiff, for Oxford and Cambridge you would need more. A mate of mine got into Cambridge and all he had to do was develop a cure for Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease...
    I was only joking I got 9A*

ReputationRep:
    A cure for Spinocerebellar Ataxia would suffice as extra-curricular activities (not sure about Oxford though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    A cure for Spinocerebellar Ataxia would suffice as extra-curricular activities (not sure about Oxford though)
    You're a weird guy

ReputationRep:
    Surely the A level results are more important. Generally for medicine at the most lenient universities its Two B's and a C at A level. Of which A' level Chemistry must be at least grade B

If you got 3 A grades at A level that would over ride any GCSE results, so long as you got C or above in maths and English language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Surely the A level results are more important. Generally for medicine at the most lenient universities its Two B's and a C at A level. Of which A' level Chemistry must be at least grade B

If you got 3 A grades at A level that would over ride any GCSE results?
    Ok thanks for that

ReputationRep:

If you got 3 A grades at A level that would over ride any GCSE results?
    No idea where you got BBC from, the minimum is AAA for all universities for Medicine (there may be 1 with AAB?). Cardiff are basically GCSE Nazis so good AS would not override poor GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=bigwang;67991448]No idea where you got BBC from, the minimum is AAA for all universities for Medicine (there may be 1 with AAB?). Cardiff are basically GCSE Nazis so good AS would not override poor GCSEs.[/

Thank you. Do you know anything about Southampton though?

ReputationRep:
    well get as much extra curricular activities as possible - something which will help you stand out from the rest of applicants. Try to focus on your As levels (e.g. if you are doing maths) and try to fit an EPQ if possible. This will show your real passion for the subject.

I am also interested in applying for medicine. However, I would say firstly how many gcses did you take? becuase Oxford looks at the proportion of A*s. I think you do have a good chance btw, I got 11A*s, yet I don't think I will get an interview at Oxford, for my proportion of A*s is below the average.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for that
    But don't just aim for the minimum grade! Study to ensure you get the highest such as A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BULL14)
    well get as much extra curricular activities as possible - something which will help you stand out from the rest of applicants. Try to focus on your As levels (e.g. if you are doing maths) and try to fit an EPQ if possible. This will show your real passion for the subject.

I am also interested in applying for medicine. However, I would say firstly how many gcses did you take? becuase Oxford looks at the proportion of A*s. I think you do have a good chance btw, I got 11A*s, yet I don't think I will get an interview at Oxford, for my proportion of A*s is below the average.
    How is 11A* below rhe average???

ReputationRep:
    But don't just aim for the minimum grade! Study to ensure you get the highest such as A*
    I'll try

ReputationRep:
    How?

ReputationRep:
    How is 11A* below rhe average???

It could be that his proportion of A* is 70% instead of the 80%+ that is needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspiringvisons)
    It could be that his proportion of A* is 70% instead of the 80%+ that is needed
    I did 14 GCSEs, so my proportion is 79%

ReputationRep:
    Wtf are the replies on this thread.

OP: the GCSEs you need heavily depend on med school. Some require 8+A*s (Oxford, which is probably the most stringent, also looks at proportion of A*s to other grades), others require none if other aspects of you application are good. Its up to you to apply to places where your profile would be considered strongly.

If you have 8/9A*s you are fine, assuming they are in the core subjects. Oxford's works like this - you're probably also fine.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.