Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I feel very cynical about ever getting a decent job

I've got 24 Ucas points and a BA (Hons) 2:1 in Political Science from the University of Birmingham. Do you think thats good or bad, prospects wise?

Ideally, I'd like to go into law but I doubt I'll be able to afford it. My folks aren't poor but they certainly can't lend me the kind of money that I'd need to do the conversion course. Furthermore, on top of my £10,000 + Student loan I pissed so much money up the wall at uni on beer, clothes, football matches, rent etc etc that I had to take out a personal loan. The payments are £170 a month. So I'll have to scrap the law idea, unless in come into some serious money!

I wouldn't be adverse to going into HR but it seems like a flaming lottery getting onto a graduate scheme.

Am I just feeling sorry for myself or am I right to be cynical? Sorry if I'm bringing the mood down, I'm not this miserable really.

Any kind of advice would be most welcome.

Cheers Jonathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iloveawaygames)
    For some reason I feel very cynical about ever getting a decent job

I've got 24 Ucas points and a BA (Hons) 2:1 in Political Science from the University of Birmingham. Do you think thats good or bad, prospects wise?

Ideally, I'd like to go into law but I doubt I'll be able to afford it. My folks aren't poor but they certainly can't lend me the kind of money that I'd need to do the conversion course. Furthermore, on top of my £10,000 + Student loan I pissed so much money up the wall at uni on beer, clothes, football matches, rent etc etc that I had to take out a personal loan. The payments are £170 a month. So I'll have to scrap the law idea, unless in come into some serious money!

I wouldn't be adverse to going into HR but it seems like a flaming lottery getting onto a graduate scheme.

Am I just feeling sorry for myself or am I right to be cynical? Sorry if I'm bringing the mood down, I'm not this miserable really.

Any kind of advice would be most welcome.

Cheers Jonathan
    You got a 2:1 in an acedemic subject from a top uni, prospects wise I'd definately say that's pretty good.

Have you thought about working and then returning to do the conversion course in a couple of years down the line?

Alternatively you could move into something like accounting and the firm you work for will pay for your exams while you work.

ReputationRep:
    You have good grades and did a respectable subject at a top 20 uni, I'd put you in the top 10% of people your age regarding job prospects.

If you're skint why not work for a year or two to rack up cash to do the conversion course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    You got a 2:1 in an acedemic subject from a top uni, prospects wise I'd definately say that's pretty good.

Have you thought about working and then returning to do the conversion course in a couple of years down the line?

Alternatively you could move into something like accounting and the firm you work for will pay for your exams while you work.

Thanks, going into accountancy has crossed my mind. The problem with that is that I dossed about at school, so had to retake GCSE maths whilst I was doing my A-levels. Consequently, I've only got a grade C in the subject. I have worked full time, then part time, in a bank though.

I think my cynicism stems from the fact that I applied to about ten companies after Xmas for their graduate schemes, apart from Tesco not one of the gits even gave me an interview. I dunno even know why I applied to Tesco, don't think that type of work suits my character. Plus, the weekend work will pee me off.

Suppose working for a couple of years is the best option, I've heard you can make a packet selling insurance over the phone for HFC bank. Not pleasant work but if it pays well I'll do it.

hey mate feel lucky to get one interview, i know someone who claims to have applied for 64 different jobs and got 63 straight rejections until finally finding something. there's going to be another 40,000ish grads out there from top 20 uni's with 2.1's in respectable subjects and i'd bet around 75% will be wanting similar jobs to you.

do you experience in relavent areas? team working, communications blah blah. when you fill out the forms are you addressing each one specifically to the company in question? scan their website and pick out what they actually want, if they say they want ability to make hard decisions and business sense then there is no point telling them how you have great interpersonal skills.

there's nothing wrong with your credentials so there's obviously something wrong with the way you are filling in the forms, sell yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    hey mate feel lucky to get one interview, i know someone who claims to have applied for 64 different jobs and got 63 straight rejections until finally finding something. there's going to be another 40,000ish grads out there from top 20 uni's with 2.1's in respectable subjects and i'd bet around 75% will be wanting similar jobs to you.

do you experience in relavent areas? team working, communications blah blah. when you fill out the forms are you addressing each one specifically to the company in question? scan their website and pick out what they actually want, if they say they want ability to make hard decisions and business sense then there is no point telling them how you have great interpersonal skills.

there's nothing wrong with your credentials so there's obviously something wrong with the way you are filling in the forms, sell yourself!
    Your probably right mate, I'm a born loafer, I should really put more effort into the applications. My GCSEs are pretty crap, only Cs and Bs, I really wasn't interested in studying at school but kinda got my act together at college (got A,B,C at A-level). Does anybody think that my crappish GCSEs hamper my chances of landing a decent job?

I guess it don't matter on a CV because I can just say: GCSEs (A-C grades inc maths and English).

ReputationRep:
    Your probably right mate, I'm a born loafer, I should really put more effort into the applications. My GCSEs are pretty crap, only Cs and Bs, I really wasn't interested in studying at school but kinda got my act together at college (got A,B,C at A-level). Does anybody think that my crappish GCSEs hamper my chances of landing a decent job?

I guess it don't matter on a CV because I can just say: GCSEs (A-C grades inc maths and English).
    GCSE shouldn't make much difference as long as you got a few of them, mine aren't exactly fantastic either but I'm told it doesn't matter as long as I get decent A-levels and a good degree, which you seem to have!

ReputationRep:
    Shop around for a conversion course. I know someone who did their's at Wolverhampton, the uni got some funding for the course and were only charging the same fee as undergrads last year, so you could do it for £1100 or whatever the fee is this year. I know someone on here is going to say "but that's a crap uni" but they got a "good" rating from the law society.

ReputationRep:
    I would not worry about your GCSE' grades as you took them how long ago? In my opinion they only have a shelf life of a few years as they are basically a stepping stone to A-levels. If anything your future imployer will see that since your GCSE's you have become a more dedicated and committed person, as your A-level and degree grades have improved respectively.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs don't matter that much - as you said if you're doing a paper CV you can just put "10 A-C grades including English, Maths & Science". A-Levels however still matter after graduation - the typical graduate scheme asks for e.g. 24 UCAS points (BBB/ABC) and a 2.1 at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Shop around for a conversion course. I know someone who did their's at Wolverhampton, the uni got some funding for the course and were only charging the same fee as undergrads last year, so you could do it for £1100 or whatever the fee is this year. I know someone on here is going to say "but that's a crap uni" but they got a "good" rating from the law society.

Cheers mate, I've just been on their site and I am considering doing the course. Its really cheap compared to the top universities which charge FOUR GRAND! :eek:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.