Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Science research project help?what do you think of this idea?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am doing this research project on the environment and my theme is alternatives to energy. Here is like the base line of this idea that I was thinking of researching into:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...ctricity_from/

what do you think? Like is it interesting enough or is it even good ?If I do decide to write the research paper on generating electricity from pressure pads under the pavement, whats sort of experiment do you think I can do to sort of support this idea? I just need someone to point me in the right direction and give me advice.

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    It's a niche idea but if you're okay with that, it could be interesting. I'm not sure what level this is supposed to be at but if you're at school, it might be difficult to do an experiment with this. I'm guessing that this technology would working using piezzo-electric crystals (possibly?) which are components you can obtain yourself so there are definitely things you can do but options are limited. One of the issues with alternative energy sources is that a lot of them are incredibly high-tech so trying to do any meaningful 'research' in a school setting is going to be tricky.

Possibly something else you might want to look at is energy storage (alternatives to batteries).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It's a niche idea but if you're okay with that, it could be interesting. I'm not sure what level this is supposed to be at but if you're at school, it might be difficult to do an experiment with this. I'm guessing that this technology would working using piezzo-electric crystals (possibly?) which are components you can obtain yourself so there are definitely things you can do but options are limited. One of the issues with alternative energy sources is that a lot of them are incredibly high-tech so trying to do any meaningful 'research' in a school setting is going to be tricky.

Possibly something else you might want to look at is energy storage (alternatives to batteries).

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of problem I'm having. I don't have access to the equipment required to research these ideas at school but can you think of any experiment to prove like the theory behind the idea?

My other idea was generating electricity from vegetable waste. I know this isn't the most efficient in large scale, but it could be useful for more remote and rural areas.What do you think of this? And for the experiment I could generate electricity from potatoes or lemon or something.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.