Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see the fuss about this man. He has to be the single most overrated human being ever. Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    You base this assumption upon seeing all of his fights?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not disputing his legendary sporting prowess, but I mean overrated as a human being. All the footage and interviews I've seen lead me to the conclusion that he was a pain in the arse. Not charismatic. I prefer Lennox Lewis ffs.

ReputationRep:
    boxing sux

ReputationRep:
    When your the best at something,arrogance is hard to resist.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but he's just not endearing. An ill mannered man.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that he Jesse Owens, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods have not only revolutionised the sport they were involved in but made the colour of their skin an irrelevance, has obviously passed you by.

ReputationRep:
    The guy was discriminated against nearly all his life, told he was worthless because he was black. He had it bad for all his childhood, but he didn't stop believing that he was the best. AND HE SHOWED people he was the best. Even when the American authorities took away his passport because he didn't believe in the Vietnam war he carried on believing. I hate boxing. But the guy is a total legend. 99 our of 100 colored men in the US that time would have given up considering the institutional racism in the US. He deserves all the credit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I'm not disputing his legendary sporting prowess, but I mean overrated as a human being. All the footage and interviews I've seen lead me to the conclusion that he was a pain in the arse. Not charismatic. I prefer Lennox Lewis ffs.
    Saying Ali wasn't charismatic and the preferring Lewis?

Hands down funniest comment I've read all week!

-

I spose it depends how high you think he is rated..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    The fact that he Jesse Owens, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods have not only revolutionised the sport they were involved in but made the colour of their skin an irrelevance, has obviously passed you by.
    What do you mean made the colour of their skin an irrelevance? It is an irrelevance who wins is the best person, particularly in Jordan and Wood's era, regardless of skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Saying Ali wasn't charismatic and the preferring Lewis?

Hands down funniest comment I've read all week!

-

I spose it depends how high you think he is rated..
    No , I don't find him remotely charismatic, I find him annoying in the extreme.
    If people like the posters above want to turn this into some political race issue, I'd rather admire someone like Mandela or Martin Luther King. At least they didn't act like knobs.

ReputationRep:
    He was probably doin all that stuff that annoys you (OP) to sell tickets for his fights. quite a few fighters do it, im sure hes an alright guy really.

ReputationRep:
    He has to be the single most overrated human being ever.
    No - Princess Diana.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GTi)
    He was probably doin all that stuff that annoys you (OP) to sell tickets for his fights. quite a few fighters do it, im sure hes an alright guy really.
    Indeed, he was one of the original badboys with atitude.

Plus he was 'only' a boxer -he doesnt have a duty to have a likeable eprsonality like some political figures mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like Ali,never read a Malcolm X speech/book.He was the true definition of charisma and intelligence,even before Ali.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather admire someone like Mandela... At least they didn't act like knobs.
    To be fair, I'd count Mandela's involvement in terrorist acts to be moderately knobbish.

ReputationRep:
    Like Malcom X, half of Ali's appeal was that he stuck his fingers up at the (white, it has to be said) establishment. The reason why a lot of people are drawn to them was because of what they stood for in their time. They gave self-confidence to a beleagured people at a time when they needed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    Like Malcom X, half of Ali's appeal was that he stuck his fingers up at the (white, it has to be said) establishment. The reason why a lot of people are drawn to them was because of what they stood for in their time. They gave self-confidence to a beleagured people at a time when they needed it.
    Yeah but so did Martin Luther King, and he didn't act like a knob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    To be fair, I'd count Mandela's involvement in terrorist acts to be moderately knobbish.
    Mandela's one of those political saints you can't quite figure out when you try and work out why he is so revered. He was in prison for illegal political activism for 27 years, and...that's mostly it. He was also a terrorist, which, oddly, many people seem to not know, though he has never denied it. I continue to hold him in good esteem because morally and politically, his achievements in resolving the difficulties of South Africa at the end of Apartheid were laudable (but not unparalleled, nor were they achieved alone). Nonetheless political prisoners - and, yes, armed political activists - with a just cause (and I don't believe that's necessarily subjective) have my deep respect. Yet for me it's the fact that Mandela's political activities were mostly in aid of something that I consider so unquestionably right, I find it hard to begrudge him respect: the dignity of human beings. Few things rouse our political passions more than a just cause. Call me an idealist, but that's something I admire.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but so did Martin Luther King, and he didn't act like a knob.
    recalling my AS history, it must be remembered that during the US Civ. Rights movement, you really had two factions. King's following which hoped to achieve political and social emancipation by the force of passive resistance, and appealing to the principles of the US's moral-political conscience. But for Malcom X and the Nation of Islam following, it was a deeper struggle, which focussed itself in the aggressive assertion of racial identity and personal dignity of black Americans. I'm not exactly a fan of either Malcom X or Ali (I hope I don't offend anyone there), but if this is understood, it becomes easier to understand their popularity. But to be honest, I think a lot of people just like a good rebel!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.