Depression and Relationships

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

I have really bad depression and I've been on and off talking to a guy for a while. He asked me out but I've got a bad feeling and I don't know if he'll stop being with me once he realises my scars from my past.

What do you think I should do?

ReputationRep:
    End him peroid, and fix yourself before relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Just go with it, if it becomes a problem, then so be it. But at least give it a shot, the worst that happens? You wont work out, nothing worse then that.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you're in a good place at the moment for a relationship? I have to agree with the post above me that sometimes it's better to deal with your issues first before putting yourself in a relationship, where its about putting the other first. You don't have to necessarily tell him all of this, but you can just say that: look, I'm gonna focus on myself for a bit. If he understands, then great! If he doesn't then, that's his loss!
    But definitely, put yourself first!

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    Just go with it, if it becomes a problem, then so be it. But at least give it a shot, the worst that happens? You wont work out, nothing worse then that.
    lol when you're depressed and your faced with a person you dearly love leaving you - because of your depression or how you act because of you - you could fall deeper into an inescapable pit and it may break you further.

a lot worse than just not working out can happen

OP, if the person wants to leave you after knowing all your scars, they arent the person for you
    obviously ease them into it though lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lol when you're depressed and your faced with a person you dearly love leaving you - because of your depression or how you act because of you - you could fall deeper into an inescapable pit and it may break you further.

a lot worse than just not working out can happen

OP, if the person wants to leave you after knowing all your scars, they arent the person for you
    obviously ease them into it though lol
    lol don't lecture me with that patronising tone, I know better then most.

lol

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    lol don't lecture me with that patronising tone, I know better then most.

lol
    didn't mean it like that, sorry

Thank you everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I heard a phrase once it was something about the partner in your life not being an addition to your life but someone that makes you whole in a way. I am not sure someone in a depressed state could in anyway make themselves and another a whole so I would say work on yourself first before taking a step into a relationship. Relationships themselves can be stressful, why stress yourself more by adding a relationship when you are not yet ready?

Thank you everyone. I've decided to tell him that I need to focus on myself first.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.