Animation Portfolio help URGENTLY NEEDED

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So, the worst part about this story is that my college's principal decided to throw away all of my year's AS art work, in fine art, so none of us have ANYTHING to show for what we have done in our first year (this is not at all our art teacher's fault, she didn't even know until the morning the rubbish had been collected).

Anyway, I really want to apply to university next year to study BA in Animation and I've been to a few open days and heard what they have wanted in a portfolio but I am just stuck on where to go with is all. All I have for a portfolio so far is a sketchbook (quite messy too...) and a few digital art pieces. Studying A2 is now piling a lot on me so I don't have enough time to work on a lot of things at once when including my extra activities outside of college.

I'd really love to hear some advice about this as soon as possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HushedMeow)
    So, the worst part about this story is that my college's principal decided to throw away all of my year's AS art work, in fine art, so none of us have ANYTHING to show for what we have done in our first year (this is not at all our art teacher's fault, she didn't even know until the morning the rubbish had been collected).

Anyway, I really want to apply to university next year to study BA in Animation and I've been to a few open days and heard what they have wanted in a portfolio but I am just stuck on where to go with is all. All I have for a portfolio so far is a sketchbook (quite messy too...) and a few digital art pieces. Studying A2 is now piling a lot on me so I don't have enough time to work on a lot of things at once when including my extra activities outside of college.

How about a storyboard for @woodymkc 's clown punching vignette? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    How about a storyboard for @woodymkc 's clown punching vignette? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content
    Sorry, that page doesn't seem to exist.

ReputationRep:

Don't panic (hard to do, i know)
    I'm also looking to do animation, and all i've been told is "do life drawings" over and over. So, I suggest you go out, and do sketches of people, and maybe motion e.g sketches of people running. Another thing i've been doing is flipbooks, despite the fact that i've been told that practicing some form of animation isn't necessary. It'd just be a cool thing to show your interviewer.
    I don't know what you mean by "messy", but if it's a lot of experimental work in your sketch book, that's great. They don't want a load of final outcomes, they need to see how you got the the final product.
    And I completely understand what you mean about timing.. Luckily i've got all my things from my graphic design AS, as well as an extended project on the go.
    I hope i've helped a bit!
    P.s Considering how worried/passionate you sound about getting to do this course, I think you'll have no trouble getting into your uni of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Don't panic (hard to do, i know)
    I'm also looking to do animation, and all i've been told is "do life drawings" over and over. So, I suggest you go out, and do sketches of people, and maybe motion e.g sketches of people running. Another thing i've been doing is flipbooks, despite the fact that i've been told that practicing some form of animation isn't necessary. It'd just be a cool thing to show your interviewer.
    I don't know what you mean by "messy", but if it's a lot of experimental work in your sketch book, that's great. They don't want a load of final outcomes, they need to see how you got the the final product.
    And I completely understand what you mean about timing.. Luckily i've got all my things from my graphic design AS, as well as an extended project on the go.
    I hope i've helped a bit!
    P.s Considering how worried/passionate you sound about getting to do this course, I think you'll have no trouble getting into your uni of choice.
    Thanks so much! This was super helpful! And by messy I mean there are just a lot of different drawings and many aren't really leading to like a final outcome, they just exist in the sketchbook, but overall I do have some development, finals and only a few life drawings (this will expand soon).
    Thank you so much for the help!

ReputationRep:

Hello! Im sorry to hear your teacher threw it away, thats honestly so bad on their behalf. I hope I can help as I currently study Animation and didn't even study art so started with no work to take with me! Rather than writing it all here, I made a video about a week ago showing my portfolio and my advice so I hope this will help! Any questions feel free to ask me and good luck!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHg8422pgA xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieann14)
    Hello! Im sorry to hear your teacher threw it away, thats honestly so bad on their behalf. I hope I can help as I currently study Animation and didn't even study art so started with no work to take with me! Rather than writing it all here, I made a video about a week ago showing my portfolio and my advice so I hope this will help! Any questions feel free to ask me and good luck!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHg8422pgA xxx
    Thank you so much!! This video has saved my life! You are a saint! I didn't see much annotation at all and I'm so happy about that, I'm not the best with writing what I'm doing haha! But thank you so much! I'll keep referring back to that video while I'm making my portfolio! <3

ReputationRep:

Hiya! I'm in the same boat as you are. Recently, I've just powered through loads of modelling and graphics work on my own, and I'm going to include some photography as well. I'm planning on going out at some point and doing some life drawing as well. Good luck! Do you know where you're applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Hiya! I'm in the same boat as you are. Recently, I've just powered through loads of modelling and graphics work on my own, and I'm going to include some photography as well. I'm planning on going out at some point and doing some life drawing as well. Good luck! Do you know where you're applying for?
    My goal is the Uni of South Wales ^^ I still have yet to see one last university open day but I think South Wales is my dream! I can just feel myself going there.
    How about you? And good luck to you too! It sounds like you've done a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!! This video has saved my life! You are a saint! I didn't see much annotation at all and I'm so happy about that, I'm not the best with writing what I'm doing haha! But thank you so much! I'll keep referring back to that video while I'm making my portfolio! <3
    No problem!! There are quite a few other videos on YouTube that helped me quite a lot. If you also email the university asking for their portfolio advice sheet I know a lot of universities have these! No problem, hope it goes okay! <3

ReputationRep:
    No problem!! There are quite a few other videos on YouTube that helped me quite a lot. If you also email the university asking for their portfolio advice sheet I know a lot of universities have these! No problem, hope it goes okay! <3
    hi,have you got any of these really need some help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvlieliza)
    hi,have you got any of these really need some help!
    Videos or the help sheets? :-)

ReputationRep:
    Videos or the help sheets? :-)
    help sheets if thats okay! hope your application is going well

ReputationRep:
    Contact universities you're interested in (or look on their websites) and ask for these directly.

The guidance will change over time so advice from previous years might not be as useful as advice direct from the source.

ReputationRep:
    I am already at uni and applied last year so no longer have the help sheets. The universities you are going for an interview at, send them an email saying 'hello, Im coming for an interview for (insert course here) and wondered if you have any portfolio guidelines or an advice sheet? I look forward to showing you my work (or something similar to that), thanks, (your name)' Just something like that and if they have them they will get back to you! :-) Good luck :-)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.