How does TSR choose what to make their passwords?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone here find a way to choose their password for online things like Facebook, Twitter, Email and other social media stuff?

¡I'm running out of ideas people!

ReputationRep:
    I use my mother's maiden name and.... wait a minute...

ReputationRep:
    Very important date and my favourite word at the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I make up words
    aint no password12345 good enough for me

ReputationRep:
    the name of my year 3 class.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people just use the same password for everything, which is a terrible idea..

I consider strong passwords to contain letters, numbers, symbols and a capital letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    I make up words
    aint no password12345 good enough for me
    How do you remember each one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_malis)
    How do you remember each one?
    program called keypass2

ReputationRep:
    I only use two passwords: For casual stuff, YOLO123 and for super-serious financial/personal stuff YOLO321.

ReputationRep:
    I just use password for them all, as it's so obvious that no one will actually think to try and use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    program called keypass2
    I highly recommend keepass2. You only need to remember 1 password (master password) and you can auto-generate strong passwords.

PRSOM Cheese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I highly recommend keepass2. You only need to remember 1 password (master password) and you can auto-generate strong passwords.

PRSOM Cheese
    :five::hugs:

(Original post by the_malis)
    How does everyone here find a way to choose their password for online things like Facebook, Twitter, Email and other social media stuff?

¡I'm running out of ideas people!
    Random alphanumeric generator. Or, sometimes, I use an entire sentence, chosen at random, from whatever book is closest to me.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use the same one for everything but then I got really paranoid about someone hacking into all of my accounts so I just changed them all to random uppercase/lowercase/punctuation/number combos (I've had to write them all down though, so not the best idea)

The 'correct horse battery staple' method from XKCD 936. It's more secure than any other method and much easier to remember. There's sample frames of words with number ids assigned to them available on line, you can roll a dice to choose which words to use. Very cryptographically secure.
    I tend to go for 7-10 words of 3-6 characters each separated by spaces.

ReputationRep:
    At the time of creating the password, I write how many seconds I've currently been alive in a combination of text and numbers.

ReputationRep:
    i use variations of the same password, plus chrome remembers them for most sites

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.