Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does TSR choose what to make their passwords? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone here find a way to choose their password for online things like Facebook, Twitter, Email and other social media stuff?

¡I'm running out of ideas people!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I use my mother's maiden name and.... wait a minute...

ReputationRep:
    Very important date and my favourite word at the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I make up words
    aint no password12345 good enough for me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    the name of my year 3 class.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people just use the same password for everything, which is a terrible idea..

I consider strong passwords to contain letters, numbers, symbols and a capital letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    I make up words
    aint no password12345 good enough for me
    How do you remember each one?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_malis)
    How do you remember each one?
    program called keypass2

ReputationRep:
    I only use two passwords: For casual stuff, YOLO123 and for super-serious financial/personal stuff YOLO321.

ReputationRep:
    I just use password for them all, as it's so obvious that no one will actually think to try and use it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    program called keypass2
    I highly recommend keepass2. You only need to remember 1 password (master password) and you can auto-generate strong passwords.

PRSOM Cheese
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I highly recommend keepass2. You only need to remember 1 password (master password) and you can auto-generate strong passwords.

PRSOM Cheese
    :five::hugs:

(Original post by the_malis)
    How does everyone here find a way to choose their password for online things like Facebook, Twitter, Email and other social media stuff?

¡I'm running out of ideas people!
    Random alphanumeric generator. Or, sometimes, I use an entire sentence, chosen at random, from whatever book is closest to me.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use the same one for everything but then I got really paranoid about someone hacking into all of my accounts so I just changed them all to random uppercase/lowercase/punctuation/number combos (I've had to write them all down though, so not the best idea)

ReputationRep:
    The 'correct horse battery staple' method from XKCD 936. It's more secure than any other method and much easier to remember. There's sample frames of words with number ids assigned to them available on line, you can roll a dice to choose which words to use. Very cryptographically secure.
    I tend to go for 7-10 words of 3-6 characters each separated by spaces.

ReputationRep:
    At the time of creating the password, I write how many seconds I've currently been alive in a combination of text and numbers.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    i use variations of the same password, plus chrome remembers them for most sites

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.