KittyN101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently doing French, German and English Language at A-level; I will definitely be carrying on with French and German

I really can't decide whether to apply for degrees in ML which involve 3 languages (one ab initio) or ML with Translation / ML with Translation and Interpreting.I'm not sure what I want to do career-wise, but probably either translation or teaching.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd probably just do the 3 languages and then you can always do a postgrad in translation. Because if you commit to doing translation for 3/4 years then decide you don't want to pursue that afterwards, it'd have been a waste of time.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
If you want to be an interpreter then you'd need to do an MA, regardless of whether you studied it at undergrad or not. You don't need an MA to become a translator, so if that is a career you're seriously considering then it might be a good idea to pick a degree that involves translation modules. For both translation and interpreting, it is your language skills that are most important, so you may want to rethink doing a three-language degree. Being completely fluent (C2) in French and German is better than being C1 in two languages and B2 in a third.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (359)
59.05%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.43%