Modern Languages - with or without translation?

    • Thread Starter


    I'm currently doing French, German and English Language at A-level; I will definitely be carrying on with French and German

    I really can't decide whether to apply for degrees in ML which involve 3 languages (one ab initio) or ML with Translation / ML with Translation and Interpreting.I'm not sure what I want to do career-wise, but probably either translation or teaching.

    I'd probably just do the 3 languages and then you can always do a postgrad in translation. Because if you commit to doing translation for 3/4 years then decide you don't want to pursue that afterwards, it'd have been a waste of time.

    If you want to be an interpreter then you'd need to do an MA, regardless of whether you studied it at undergrad or not. You don't need an MA to become a translator, so if that is a career you're seriously considering then it might be a good idea to pick a degree that involves translation modules. For both translation and interpreting, it is your language skills that are most important, so you may want to rethink doing a three-language degree. Being completely fluent (C2) in French and German is better than being C1 in two languages and B2 in a third.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Electronic notes or handwritten notes?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.