Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

A161 – End-Of-Term By-Elections Amendment Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    A161 – End-Of-Term By-Elections Amendment
    Proposed by: Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP)
    Seconded: hazzer1998 MP (UKIP), Jammy Duel MP (Con), mobbsy91 MP (Con), TheDefiniteArticle MP (Lab), Unown Uzer MP (UKIP)

In the Guidance Document under (5) MP Activity & Voting Reviews add;

(6) If a by-election should happen within four weeks of the start of a General Election the Speaker must delay the by-election to start after the General Election results have been announced.
    (7) The Speaker shall choose which seats to place for by-election from all of the seats the party won at the General Election.

If passed, this amendment will delay the by-election called by the Speaker on the 10/10/2016.

Speaker's note: It is not permitted to propose an amendment to overturn a decision already made by the Speaker, or otherwise to include implementation instructions outside the text to be added, so the final sentence here is void.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ummmm, I give Nigel the permission to share where I consented to second this amendment, assuming he can find it.

ReputationRep:
    Nay it's a new term so all seats will have just been up for election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    A161 – End-Of-Term By-Elections Amendment
    Proposed by: Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP)
    Seconded: hazzer1998 MP (UKIP), Jammy Duel MP (Con), mobbsy91 MP (Con), TheDefiniteArticle MP (Lab), Unown Uzer MP (UKIP)

In the Guidance Document under (5) MP Activity & Voting Reviews add;

(6) If a by-election should happen within four weeks of the start of a General Election the Speaker must delay the by-election to start after the General Election results have been announced.
    (7) The Speaker shall choose which seats to place for by-election from all of the seats the party won at the General Election.

If passed, this amendment will delay the by-election called by the Speaker on the 10/10/2016.

Speaker's note: It is not permitted to propose an amendment to overturn a decision already made by the Speaker, or otherwise to include implementation instructions outside the text to be added, so the final sentence here is void.
    There is nothing in the Constitution to say an amendment cannot overturn a Speaker's decision to help the Speaker's own party. The amendment passing can be treated as a vote against the Speaker by the majority of MPs who are unhappy with a Speaker's decision. If the Speaker is going to go against the will of the MPs, the Speaker is breaking the trust MPs place in the Speaker to represent them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've stated my position, there should just be a limit on the seats they can win of one less than those they would've won.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummmm, I give Nigel the permission to share where I consented to second this amendment, assuming he can find it.
    I remember you stating months ago you were going to take my position of seconding anything.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, obviously not. Also undecided about whether the final sentence is valid. I think it would be valid without a doubt if this were an amendment to the Constitution, much more interesting as regards a GD amendment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I remember you stating months ago you were going to take my position of seconding anything.
    Fish it out, pretty sure I didn't because that means seconding utter **** that is lazily written like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Fish it out, pretty sure I didn't because that means seconding utter **** that is lazily written like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With all of the **** you post in the MHoC I do not have enough hours to spend looking for your post.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    With all of the **** you post in the MHoC I do not have enough hours to spend looking for your post.
    The search function is your friend, unless what you're searching for doesn't exist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The search function is your friend, unless what you're searching for doesn't exist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The TSR search feature is not the best, or the comment could have been posted on Skype, however, it does not matter because you are being facetious.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Voting Reviews start and finish with every Parliament, so I don't agree with carrying over an associated by-election from one Parliament to another.

I don't think the Speaker should pick and choose seats to remove based on voting performance from the previous parliament. Voting performance is reset by each general election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The TSR search feature is not the best, or the comment could have been posted on Skype, however, it does not matter because you are being facetious.
    If it was on Skype that makes it even easier to find, and your unwillingness to search doesn't change the fact that I do not want to second garbage, certainly not without consultation first

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If it was on Skype that makes it even easier to find, and your unwillingness to search doesn't change the fact that I do not want to second garbage, certainly not without consultation first

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then ask for your name to be removed, stop complaining, and start acting like the grown adult you are, not a petulant child.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Then ask for your name to be removed, stop complaining, and start acting like the grown adult you are, not a petulant child.
    I offered you the opportunity to share my consent and instead you decided to go for this. Same old Nigel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I would support an amendment which prohibited by-elections taking place 2 weeks or less before parliament expires but not this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't so brazenly partisan I'd consider it, although its farcical, why not apply to the previous roll call as well, that punishment was minimal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay

ReputationRep:
    I think that this should take effect from the start of the next Parliament.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2016
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.