HMRC AO Interview help ASAP!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi I applied for an AO position with HMRC 2 months ago and have completed the online tests. I have now been invited to a situational interview which will focus on the following competencies:
    Delivering at Pace
    Managing a Quality Service
    Leading and Communicating
    I'm quite confused and was hoping someone could help me in terms of what sort of questions you think they may ask. I have just recently completed my A-levels so don't have much experience to apply to these competencies and will appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be two situational questions and 'leading and communicating' will be scored throughout.*

Situational being what you would do in a certain situation such as having to make unpopular decisions etc.

It's not an especially complicated interview and it will probably last 15 minutes max. *

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soo much! Does that mean they won't ask me regarding my own personal experiences in which I have demonstrated a certain competency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audiology999)
    Thank you soo much! Does that mean they won't ask me regarding my own personal experiences in which I have demonstrated a certain competency?
    If you have a personal example that relates to the question then by all means use it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I applied for an AO position with HMRC 2 months ago and have completed the online tests. I have now been invited to a situational interview which will focus on the following competencies:
    Delivering at Pace
    Managing a Quality Service
    Leading and Communicating
    I'm quite confused and was hoping someone could help me in terms of what sort of questions you think they may ask. I have just recently completed my A-levels so don't have much experience to apply to these competencies and will appreciate any help. Thank you very much.
    Hi, have you applied for the Administration Officer & Apprentice role with HMRC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM17)
    Hi, have you applied for the Administration Officer & Apprentice role with HMRC?
    Silly question - didnt realise you said its with HMRC. Which city have you applied for? I have an interview next month with HMRC in Bradford

ReputationRep:
    Hi, need urgent HELP !!!

I am going to attend interview for AO/apprentice HMRC Ipswich in two days.
    So far I know it should be a scenario based interview. But I have few questions that I need help with:

In this interview - Do I need to prepare my own situational Example for competency? if yes , how many competency example I need to be prepare with?

Or

Are they going to provide a scenario ( events with multiple problems/issues) which I need to demonstrate how I would deal with it by reflecting competency?

please HELP me !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM17)
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM17)
    Silly question - didnt realise you said its with HMRC. Which city have you applied for? I have an interview next month with HMRC in Bradford
    Same here!! Mine's in Bradford but I'm really struggling to prep for the interview. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadu)
    Hi, need urgent HELP !!!

I am going to attend interview for AO/apprentice HMRC Ipswich in two days.
    So far I know it should be a scenario based interview. But I have few questions that I need help with:

In this interview - Do I need to prepare my own situational Example for competency? if yes , how many competency example I need to be prepare with?

Or

Are they going to provide a scenario ( events with multiple problems/issues) which I need to demonstrate how I would deal with it by reflecting competency?

please HELP me !!!!
    I'm not sure tbh. However, I think they will ask you for your own personal examples in which you've applied the competency. All the best!! Let me know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hello peps

I had my HMRC AO interview today. It was Ok
    I been asked competency examples from my experience according to civil service competency framework. I was told it should be Scenario based interview / Situational Based interview. Apparently I found it a purely Competency based interview looking for positive indicators from CSCF sifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadu)
    Hello peps

I been asked competency examples from my experience according to civil service competency framework. I was told it should be Scenario based interview / Situational Based interview. Apparently I found it a purely Competency based interview looking for positive indicators from CSCF sifts.
    Thanks for updating us. Hope you get the job. Did you get asked any traditional interview questions such as why do you want to work here, tell me about yourself etc.?

ReputationRep:
    Same here!! Mine's in Bradford but I'm really struggling to prep for the interview. Any advice?
    My interview is next week, i have spoken to a few people who work there and they have all said it will be questions based on our competencies.. i could do with all the help i can get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadu)
    Hello peps

Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Also interested in the questions they will ask- I know they will be scenario based, any idea on the specific types of scenarios?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM17)
    Thanks for that!
    If you look on line the civil service competencies are available to read to give you an idea of what they expect from you.

Might help to give them a quick look.

ReputationRep:
    hi, wondering if anyone heard anything after interview? any outcome yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. Had an email towards end of last week saying sorry for the delay but they will be releasing results week commencing 28th November. It's Friday already and still haven't heard anything. Has anyone else?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've had a reply back from them, I didn't get offered a role. Was put on reserve instead :-/
    Good luck to you guys!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.