The Student Room Group

Rate My CV?

--
(edited 2 years ago)
It's pretty good. Just a few things I would say. Firstly it's too long. CVs should be maximum 2 sides. Even 1.5 sides is pushing it. The best CVs are around 1 side long, keep it short and simple. Cut down on the white space and perhaps make the font a bit smaller. Don't just have giant paragraph space for the sake of it. Also dont label your first paragraph "personal statement", it doesn't sound right. In all the jobs that you did, perhaps add a short sentence explaining the job a bit more or perhaps the skills you gained from it (interacting with customers etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
great thanks for the help, I will cut down on the white space and probably make the font smaller. Any idea what I should put instead of "Personal Statement"?
Original post by jjmanowski
Hi guys, I am currently studying in Edinburgh and about to start looking for jobs. I am studying Software Engineering and would love a part time job in something techy like apple (idk if they do part time) or maplin etc. I have had previous job experience in mostly restaurants and would prefer to try something new. If you have any ideas on what kind of jobs I could apply for it would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached a copy of my CV would be great if people could tell me what they think I could change and improve on . I have taken out the personal info in the CV.

It looks good, could do with a few tweaks
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
It looks good, could do with a few tweaks

such as? :smile:
"Napier Edinburgh"?????
Original post by jambojim97
"Napier Edinburgh"?????

Whoops, fixed.
Original post by jambojim97
"Napier Edinburgh"?????

I didn't get that either
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
I didn't get that either

Just swap over the two words. The name of the uni is Edinburgh Napier.
Original post by cbreef
Just swap over the two words. The name of the uni is Edinburgh Napier.

ayy, fixed it to Edinburgh Napier University
ayy, fixed it to Edinburgh Napier University

Cool
hey there,

Looking good! Just a few points such as it's a bit long and the Napier thing (but that's already been pointed out)

If you're looking for some more CV advice, these might be useful to you:
http://advice.milkround.com/infographic-the-9-deadliest-cv-mistakes
http://advice.milkround.com/infographic-cv-questions
http://advice.milkround.com/common-cv-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them
http://advice.milkround.com/how-to-get-your-graduate-cv-noticed-by-employers
http://advice.milkround.com/11-phrases-take-cv-now

You should check out the Milkround jobs board for any jobs coming up in engineering/technology: http://www.milkround.com/jobs/

I suggest you upload it in the CV Help forum. At the moment you are missing the key thing employers are looking for, evidence of relevant skills. You have some in your Interests section, but none in the key place, under your experiences. You seem to have plenty of activities that might produce good evidence, but employers aren't going to do the work for you
Hi guys, I am currently studying in Edinburgh and about to start looking for jobs. I am studying Software Engineering and would love a part time job in something techy like apple (idk if they do part time) or maplin etc. I have had previous job experience in mostly restaurants and would prefer to try something new. If you have any ideas on what kind of jobs I could apply for it would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached a copy of my CV would be great if people could tell me what they think I could change and improve on . I have taken out the personal info in the CV.

A lot of grammar mistakes like I done x don't you mean I did?

As others have said your CV is too long, I would say the interests section in particular can be cut down to maybe a couple of points, preferably relevant to the role, looking something like this (with generic examples)
Interests
Swimming, sailing

Its also missing the examples of what you've done in each job, again keep them as relevant to each role you appply for as possible.

Many of the statements in the personal profile are too vague, everyone says they are highly motivated, and good knowledge and experience of what? You need to sum up the knowledge and experience you have which is relevant to the role.

I would suggest going to your university careers department for advice too, they should be able to know where you can consider applying too.
Nah man this is great, I know you aren't trying to sound harsh. Just remember this is just for a part time job aside my uni, so currently I don't have much (well none) work experience in the technology sector. I will edit my CV accordingly, thanks for the feed back, greatly appreciated! :smile:
I'm not familiar with Scottish education so may be wrong here, but your education should be in order with the most recent first (sorry if they already are!) Your A-levels (or equivalent) are much more important than GCSEs, so should go first. You don't need to list every grade, for GCSEs I just put x number of As (including maths and English), x number of B's etc, but to fit your personal qualifications. Higher qualifications can be put on the same line, e.g. A levels in Biology (A*), Maths (A) etc, again changing the details depending on your qualifications. The education section should only be around a third of the CV, even if you have little work experience, and is the main reason why your CV is too long.

The rest has been said above basically - write what you did in each work role and what transferable skills you learnt that might be relevant to tech. I can't see it (but just skim-read), but have you put your software engineering study on it? If so, you can go into more detail with that e.g. particular modules relevant to tech.

If you can, try to get some tech-related experience, even if it's just joining a society (which you can still put on your CV if you actually did something there).

Interests are too long. Only needs to be a line or two. If you can, try and add something relevant to tech (e.g. 'taught myself to code with X language' or 'enjoy building websites' etc. I didn't even read the interests section, and I've got way more time than an employer would! Most your achievements can include just the title without a description. Take out the ones less relevant or impressive.

I have a personal statement section at the top of my CV, so don't necessarily think it needs to go or be called something different as someone else suggested. Make sure its relevant to tech/the role you're applying to and not just generic. Basically, you should be able to tell by looking at a CV the kind of sector the person might apply for.

You won't get any jobs with that I'm afraid. You need a complete re-write. You need to give evidence of relevant skills. Look at it from the point of the Manager of the Apple store - which words on that CV give any evidence you know about Apple products, have an interest in technology, or have excellent customer service?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending