Nursing and mental health

Announcements Posted on

Hi guys,

I recently got accepted onto a nursing course due to start in January! So excited 😁

I've sent off all my occupational heath form which stated on it I have depression but it's under control and won't affect my study and I was accepted onto the course still.

However, I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow as I'm feeling a bit down and might need to see my counsellor again.

The thing is, I have noticed that currently and for the past few years, my symptoms fit that of Borderline Personality Disorder. I want to raise this with the doctor tomorrow but I am terrified if it turns out I do have BPD then I will be unable to do my nursing course.

My symptoms/mental health have NEVER affected my work. It's mainly my intimate/personal and family relationships. Sometimes when I'm alone my symptoms are very obvious too.

Do you think I will still be able to study as being a nurse? Or will it stop me?

Thank you in advance everyone xx

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what your diagnosis is and what the official stance is. Wait till you've talked to your doctor and talk to occupational health as well and see where it goes. There's no point in worrying about something that you're currently unsure of and can't do anything about. Your health comes first and there's plenty else you can do in this or similar fields even if you are ill.

Charlotte49 any insight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

I recently got accepted onto a nursing course due to start in January! So excited 😁

I've sent off all my occupational heath form which stated on it I have depression but it's under control and won't affect my study and I was accepted onto the course still.

However, I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow as I'm feeling a bit down and might need to see my counsellor again.

The thing is, I have noticed that currently and for the past few years, my symptoms fit that of Borderline Personality Disorder. I want to raise this with the doctor tomorrow but I am terrified if it turns out I do have BPD then I will be unable to do my nursing course.

My symptoms/mental health have NEVER affected my work. It's mainly my intimate/personal and family relationships. Sometimes when I'm alone my symptoms are very obvious too.

Do you think I will still be able to study as being a nurse? Or will it stop me?

I'm in my final year of studying social work and I am diagnosed with BPD and bipolar/schizoaffective disorder. Never been told I can't study due to having a diagnosis of BPD. They will assess you - if you are fit to practice and you aren't going to endanger patients/service users then you should be fine. They may have concerns with how you will cope with stress but just explain how you deal with it.

Also, being diagnosed with BPD can take a long time so don't worry about it being sprung on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It really depends on what your diagnosis is and what the official stance is. Wait till you've talked to your doctor and talk to occupational health as well and see where it goes. There's no point in worrying about something that you're currently unsure of and can't do anything about. Your health comes first and there's plenty else you can do in this or similar fields even if you are ill. Charlotte49 any insight?
    Apologies for the delay in looking at this - notification only just came through! Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to devise some guidance for this as we seem to be getting a lot of queries similar to this at the minute.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

Ok, firstly you've definitely done the right thing by declaring this early. This will allow the uni to look at the info and find out the best way to support you. Don't worry that you're feeling down and definitely do not let the nursing admission stop you from seeking the help you need. Your main priority should be to take care of yourself.

Another important thing is to realise that you shouldn't try and diagnose yourself with anything. Information on Google is often inaccurate and I'm sure most people could easily self-diagnose several mental health issues. Especially when you're not feeling in a good place after previously being in control, it can be easy to look to other conditions to explain why things aren't going as well for you. Speak to your GP and see what they think.

OH exists to identify any issues and to find ways that adjustments can be made to help you. It certainly is not a pass/fail exercise and a recommendation to revoke your offer could only be made if there was a significant risk to patient safety identified. Even if this was the case, you could appeal the decision. As you have stated, this has never affected you professionally, so should not be an issue. If required, you could likely get a letter from your GP to support this (although there is no need to do this just yet, it is something to bear in mind). Often, telling OH that you have this issue, but are currently being treated and are regularly reviewed by your GP is enough to satisfy them that things are under control.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions or worries please don't hesitate to get in touch *

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.