The influence of social media on presidential elections

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    There are so many people who can't think for themselves and are just following what everyone else is, there are just so many people who don't think outside the box.
    The internet has such an enormous power especially over us young people. An example would be the current presidential elections in the U.S. I have seen so many comments saying how they wish Obama stayed in the office yet no reasons why except that he is "the chillest president ever" (that's because of the memes and internet trends) and no comments about his politics, like excuse me but if you are electing someone to have the power over your country you should do some good research about them not only on the big news websites but facts from sites ofevery political opinion to have a wider aspect on that candidate.
    Another example would be Trump, a very large amount of people hate him and it's quite obvious why but honestly, most people's arguments just come from social media like instagram or tumblr. They all say the same thing, oh he is racist. I became interested in why people call him racist so I decided to do some research and proof of that and yet so, I haven't found any good proof.
    But, you may be asking, isn’t it racist when he talks about banning Muslims from entering the U.S. and saying that illegal Mexican inmigrants are rapists and criminals? No, muslims and mexicans are not a race. Islam is an ideology and mexican is a nationality.
    Second of all, I found out that he never said that all mexicans are rapists or criminals yet that's what people say he said, why? A mistake in social media.
    He actaully said how some of the rapists and criminals are illegal inmigrants.

So this is the power, I myself am not living in a english speaking country yet when I talk about these presidential elections with someone, all their arguments come from instagram memes.
    Don´t get me wrong, I still really don´t like Trump. The thing is social media is concentrating so much on Trump being a prick or his bad past attitude towards women, they are completely ignoring the way Hillary treated a 12 year old rape victim, her fault of many deaths and her violence towards people in the Whte House during her years as a First Lady.
    And one last thing, I think both, Trump and Hillary are pieces of crap.

Humans in general have always been awful, and always will so I also think that world peace isn´t a posibility.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about this as if it's some newfound discovery. As if people haven't always been influenced by uninformed opinions, lies and false rumour. The only thing that's changed is the medium, the bull**** is as old as civilisation itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You're talking about this as if it's some newfound discovery. As if people haven't always been influenced by uninformed opinions, lies and false rumour. The only thing that's changed is the medium, the bull**** is as old as civilisation itself.
    Yeah I know it's nothing new, It's just that there still are so many influenced people who probably don't even realize they are influenced I was hoping someone like that would stumble upon my post and decide to do more of their own research from many places with different opinions instead of getting their info only from one page with one opinion.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.