Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Catholicism vs. Towels - The ultimate discussion watch

Which is best?

EDIT: See the broadsheet discussion for explanation. Of sorts.

ReputationRep:
    Go towels! (I've got a zebra print one ).

(Original post by Acaila)
    Go towels! (I've got a zebra print one ).
    To my eternal shame I have one imprinted with the timless bust of Donald Duck... But way to go with the gnarley zebra, I'd take it over mine any day!!

ReputationRep:
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
    A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an intersteller hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you -- daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
    More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towle is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
    Hence, a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

Which is why i voted for towels, another thing you can do with towels is whip catholics!!!!

(Original post by BloodyValentine)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
    A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an intersteller hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you -- daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
    More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towle is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
    Hence, a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

Which is why i voted for towels, another thing you can do with towels is whip catholics!!!!
    Have you read the "Trilogy of Five" then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseonthegrave)
    yep and the salmon of doubt which is brilliant and the dirk gently books which aren't so good. sad douglas adams obsessive

yep and the salmon of doubt which is brilliant and the dirk gently books which aren't so good. sad douglas adams obsessive
    Good ol' Doug, God rest his soul...

ReputationRep:
    To my eternal shame I have one imprinted with the timless bust of Donald Duck... But way to go with the gnarley zebra, I'd take it over mine any day!!
    Oh I have a minnie mouse one

(Original post by Acaila)
    Oh I have a minnie mouse one
    Gotta love Disney lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't want anyone thinking I like towels here. I just dislike Catholicism.

ReputationRep:
    Good ol' Doug, God rest his soul...
    I have to say even his death was amusing, dying on an exercise bike has a certain irony to it

ReputationRep:
    Haha. 8-0 to the towels! Go towels. Go towels. Go tow...

ReputationRep:
    Its the trilogy of four isn't it.
    P.S I've read it and its amazing.

(Original post by Chubb)
    http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/surf/6818/book.html

Nope, you missed "Mostly Harmless" - the last book!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    nah there's so long and thanks for all the fish but they don't usually stock that in book stores

ReputationRep:
    http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/surf/6818/book.html

Nope, you missed "Mostly Harmless" - the last book!!
    that's what i meant to say

ReputationRep:
    What about Ned Flanders' Turin Shroud Beach Towel?

ReputationRep:
    that's what i meant to say
    OMG - I've missed one!!! Oh this is great - now I can read another one.

EDIT - Who wants to start a Hichickers guide to UKL where we discuss the book?

(Original post by Chubb)
    OMG - I've missed one!!! Oh this is great - now I can read another one.
    The ending might make you sad.

ReputationRep:
    yeah none of them quite live up to the first 2 books in my opinion though the story is still good it's not quite to the standard of Hitchhiker's Guide and the restaurant at the end of the universe

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.