Why does everyone hate on minimum wage jobs?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    People on this site, teachers, parents etc have always said you need to get good grades in school so you don't end up in a minimum wage job all your life. However why exactly is this a bad thing? From my experience, minimum wage jobs have actually been pretty enjoyable and were a good way to meet people in the holiday. The tasks although not mentally taxing were actually quite enjoyable, there's something really satisfying about just being able to wash dishes or clear tables plus this allows you to have banter with coworkers since we're not all focused on demanding intellectual tasks.

I know the pay isn't great but the national living wage will give a pretty big pay boost and I don't spend much money anyway tbh. Honestly, the only reason I'm doing a degree is because of the clubbing and the long summer holidays, I literally don't see why everyone hates on minimum wage work so much, I would happily do it full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    People on this site, teachers, parents etc have always said you need to get good grades in school so you don't end up in a minimum wage job all your life. However why exactly is this a bad thing? From my experience, minimum wage jobs have actually been pretty enjoyable and were a good way to meet people in the holiday. The tasks although not mentally taxing were actually quite enjoyable, there's something really satisfying about just being able to wash dishes or clear tables plus this allows you to have banter with coworkers since we're not all focused on demanding intellectual tasks.

I know the pay isn't great but the national living wage will give a pretty big pay boost and I don't spend much money anyway tbh. Honestly, the only reason I'm doing a degree is because of the clubbing and the long summer holidays, I literally don't see why everyone hates on minimum wage work so much, I would happily do it full time.
    It's interesting to know that you're paying 9k a year just to go clubbing and to have a long summer holiday...

Also, not everyone hates minimum wage jobs.

ReputationRep:
    for the rest of your life...washing dishes, stacking shelves. Really? Is that the sum total of your aspiration?

More to the point, it's hopelessly naïve. Of course a minimum wage crappy job doesn't seem too bad to you. You get to keep all the money from it and have your 'bants'. You don't have a mortgage (or more likely rent) to pay out of it. Or council tax. Or utilities bills. Or a fridge and cupboards to stock. Or children to clothe and feed on it. Or a pension to save for.

I could go on... Life on a minimum wage job in 21st century Britain is by and large a miserable existence and you sound like a 10 year old for suggesting otherwise. (Maybe you are 10, actually...sorry)

ReputationRep:
    You're putting yourself into a bad position if you continue to follow through uni solely to enjoy social activities that you've could've done without it.
    I don't like it when people put down people who are in minimum wage jobs (unjustly), what do you achieve from doing that besides fuelling your arrogance?

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy and do what makes you happy, if money doesn't make you happy then don't chase it just because people say to do so. But also do bare in mind that minimum wage is ****, you might well struggle to get by, and although you might not spend much money on stuff, you will still need money to buy food etc. Also, a lot of minimum wage workers are unjustifiably discriminated against by other people and their bosses, which might be something to consider.

But yeah, if you reckon you can live on it and you'll be happier than if you went to a university, then more power to you

ReputationRep:
    Considering your academic info says "Media Studies" I'm not surprised you love minimum wage jobs so much.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see the ironic username is back

ReputationRep:
    snobbishness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Considering your academic info says "Media Studies" I'm not surprised you love minimum wage jobs so much.

ReputationRep:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a minimum wage job. People often forget that without being working in retail and the catering/bar industry, they'd be nobody to run their shops, pubs, bars etc etc. As long as you can support yourself and enjoy yourself, it's cool.

ReputationRep:
    Don't necessarily hate them, but ending up working in one is a fate I do not want to wish on myself. I'd be hell bent on making sure my kid doesn't end up in one either in his 20s.

However some people just get depressed if they're not being stimulated by what they do, and more min wage jobs fall into that category than not.

I think people who work serving others (waiting, customer service, etc.) are usually seen as 'lesser' as well for some reason, and that hurts their pride and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    You do English, don't think you're in a position to criticise the employment prospects of anyone's degree tbh.

ReputationRep:
    These days, an employer offering minimum wage is a huge red flag. It's always a place with high staff turnover and who spend more effort thinking up ways to flaunt employment law or take money stealthily out of wages than doing their actual job.

Plus if you're forced to do entry-level and minimum wage work, you don't have freedom. The job chooses you, you don't choose the job. One day you're employed, the next you're starting years in unemployment and all the A4e etc. abuse that involves. You'll apply for jobs 200 other people are applying for, with your entire life in the hands of an interviewer who's crossing people off the list because the candidate didn't have big enough tits or the surname was a bit too foreign-looking.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly because it pays minimum wage, I assume.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with the jobs per se. It's just that people on minimum wage generally struggle financially. Can't afford to save any money, so when something comes along that requires money to fix (for example, your washing machine goes kaput and you need a new one) then you're up slack alley and you might have to get loans or borrow money, then you can barely afford to live where you're owing out money. You'll spend your whole life thinking "I wish I could afford this/that" about things that aren't that expensive. If you have kids, they'll forever be whinging that they want this or that because their friends have it and you'll feel heartbroken that you can't afford it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about working your life away just to get money to attain social status like a lot of people feel pressured to do, far from. However, living on minimum wage is no life for me, I grew up with my parents not being able to afford much so for me now making enough to live comfortably, all the while not being stressed and worn down by my work, just makes me that bit happier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    You do English, don't think you're in a position to criticise the employment prospects of anyone's degree tbh.
    *English and Languages. The latter are in huge demand nowadays hun

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree. At the end of the day it's still a job and realistically someone has to do it, we can't all have high paying jobs. If you know how to budget and don't spend money on unnecessary items then it can be manageable to live on.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.