Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Disney tried to cast a white guy as the hero of live-action Mulan movie

ReputationRep:
    Disney's upcoming 2018 live-action retelling of Mulan, the traditional Chinese story of a young girl who takes her father's place in war to save him, is being hit with criticism on social media after a speculative screenplay was leaked online.

The information, posted anonymously on the website Angry Asian Man, revealed that the new Disney movie would not focus on Mulan's own journey to protect her family. Instead, the proposed remake of the studio's hit animation movie would feature a white male European sailor who saved the young heroine and conquered her heart.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/11/en...ight-petition/

Lol this can't be true? :curious:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with this?....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    whats wrong with this?....
    Are you serious? It undercuts the entire point of the movie. Nicely done. I don't think they could have ****ed that up worse if they tried.

(also white dudes weren't exploring china around the time the story is set, so dire historical inaccuracy too!)

ReputationRep:
    That better not be true. :/

ReputationRep:
    Racial and gender disputes aside, that sounds like the polar opposite of what Mulan is about. Might as well make it a new IP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    That better not be true. :/
    Well, it's not the final script so we're safe in that regard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Well, it's not the final script so we're safe in that regard
    Just seen this http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/fans-...male-lead.html

Although I don't know how much sway we should give to a 'source close to the film'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Are you serious? It undercuts the entire point of the movie. Nicely done. I don't think they could have ****ed that up worse if they tried.

(also white dudes weren't exploring china around the time the story is set, so dire historical inaccuracy too!)
    tbh they may have done it bc he probs looks chinese or could get away with it. shows do this all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Would you have rather they'd done the equivalent of 'blacking them up'?
    What are you trying to prove?

(Original post by mkap)
    tbh they may have done it bc he probs looks chinese or could get away with it. shows do this all the time.
    Instead, the proposed remake of the studio's hit animation movie would feature a white male European sailor who saved the young heroine and conquered her heart

ReputationRep:
    All part of Hollywood's long smear campaign against Asian males and promotion of White males and ethnic minority females.

Hollywood is racist, this is not exactly groundbreaking news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    What are you trying to prove?
    ok thats dumb and spoils the movie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    That if they'd found who they wanted as an actor but done this, there'd have been an outcry. But there's also an outcry because he's not the 'right' colour. How can they win?
    I don't comprehend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I don't comprehend
    That's because I'm taking crap and didn't read your original post properly. Forgive me.

ReputationRep:
    If he's hot who cares, insecure boys always get jealous around more handsome men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost Her Way)
    If he's hot who cares, insecure boys always get jealous around more handsome men
    ok

Hollywood is running out of ideas... if you want to remake a classic cartoon into a live action at least do it right...

Yeah, perpetration of Asian stereotypes in Hollywood is nothing new... Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's is a good example of that.

ReputationRep:
    I could of sworn a few months ago people were ok changing characters ethnicities.

I didn't agree with it then and I don't now but hopefully people will be consistent and say this is ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    ok
    If Romeo is Black id be fine w that, people getting mad are just boys with little willies who think women are for their ethnicity only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost Her Way)
    If Romeo is Black id be fine w that, people getting mad are just boys with little willies who think women are for their ethnicity only

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.